Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

Gale

11 August 2014 | Vrango
Imelda W7
Pilot look out station at Vrango, Gothenburg Southern Archipelago

Monday 11 August 2014

We are imprisoned by the wind in Vrango Harbour - and it is not a bad place to be stuck because it is a very secure harbour and a nice place indeed.

There is a shop, there are walking trails. There is a 'mountain' (as a local man referred to it) one can climb to visit the old "Pilot House". One can forage for blackberries and rosehips (after going hungry in Wales for five days I have suddenly developed a keen eye for the 'free foods of Mother Nature'! Even Elliott was spotted picking a oversized blue berry yesterday and asking: "Is this a Damson? Can I eat this?"! The boys have indeed learned some things at Nick's Wild Ways retreat in Wales.

Ulric points out the "Wind Development of the last 24 hours" - as it appears on a small screen on the navigation desk. Ermmm..... Fascinating..... It looks like the Himalayas on an upward trend. Not entirely reassuring...

Over lunch I said to the boys: "Hurricane Bertha has shape shifted. She may not have reached Scandinavia but she has certainly sent us her daughters. We are in the presence of the Wind Maidens whipping our ears!"

Quinn just scowled at me and said: "Mum! What possesses you to use language like that when you speak to us?!! It sounds completely weird and we haven't got a clue what you mean!!"

Perhaps time to remind these boys that they have a POET for a grandmother?!!

Mmmm...

Tonight it officially is Full Moon, husband informs me. It gets quite stressful: we must attend the Sunset, the Moonrise and take the flag down, all at exactly the same time. I have suggested the flag is left to Brendan and Brothers.

Ulric and I just did an evening walk - the boys received an invitation but declined politely. I said to Ulric: in a way sailing should be all about living much closer to nature. About allowing yourself to be becalmed. About riding following winds and avoiding beating into the wind. However, just as we use electricity to override darkness in our Western daily lives, we use the engine to override the wrong sailing conditions so we can fit our trips into school holidays.

But in sailing Wind is an absolute. Earlier today the wind reached Wind Force 8 speeds - and you do not leave harbour in such winds unless you have to. The Wind reigns surpreme and I am an Apprentice of the Wind....

On the radio we heard that a catamaran had capsized nearby and a lifeboat was going out to rescue the crew. The call for help had come from people who had watched the catamaran turning upside down like a spinning top from ashore - not from the boat. One assumes the instruments drowned upon capsize. Nine people were thought to be on board but later that was amended to only four people. I felt myself hoping there were no children involved in his. Hanging in the water, hoping to be rescued... You do not mess around with the Wind...

Imelda Almqvist
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com