Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

An Adventure

16 August 2014 | Fjallbacka
Elliott WSW4
Saturday 16 August 2014

Today started off normally, at eight o'clock sharp in the morning Dad raised the flags, then not too long later we had breakfast. After breakfast and the washing up was done, we all got into the dinghy and set off to the islands with the fishermen huts.

We took the dinghy around the island we visited yesterday and we got to the island. We couldn't see were the huts were so we went to the nearest natural dock that didn't seem too challenging to land upon. We motored the dinghy as far as we could and then took hold of rocks so Brendan, Quinn and I could get off.

Mum wasn't too fond of the idea of doing the same so once we had made sure Brendan was safe, Quinn, Dad and I all helped Mum get off. After several ideas, we decided to lift the dinghy upon the rocks so mum could have quite a dry landing.

Once Mum had got off the dinghy, Dad tied it up while Quinn and I tried to find the best way off transporting Mum up upon the hill. Quinn sent me scouting through a narrow ravine. On the far side of the ravine, the land sloped upwards to the hill. I reported back to Quinn.

Quinn and I guided Mum halfway through the ravine but there was a bit of a tricky pass in the middle so Mum decided to turn back. Eventually, Mum climbed up the rocks to the hills base. Brendan was already ahead so he was sent to find the huts. Dad and I followed his lead while Quinn guided Mum a bit behind us.

Near the hills crest there was a gap where Brendan, Dad and I all crossed. From the crest, we could see the huts roof but there wasn't a safe path straight down. Brendan scouted out a good path down while I found a good crossing point for Mum.

Mum crossed and on the other side, Dad had found a viewpoint upon which we could see our later destination. I found another viewpoint where we had a better view. Brendan had found a way down so we followed. I caught up with Brendan at the bottom and together with dad, we found a pass leading to the huts.

Once we got there we realised that there was a sandy beach right next to the huts where we could have landed to save time. There were two huts, very similar with benches, guest books and names scrawled across the woodwork. One even had a lawn bowl set despite there only being a small patch of grass, not a lawn.

Mum and Quinn arrived a bit later and they looked around. Dad decided that him and I should get the dinghy and bring it there so we could set off home. Dad decided that we should do it against the clock. He looked at his watch, 11:31 then we set off...

I set off at a sprint, going up and down the hill with Dad trailing behind me. I arrived at the dinghy out of breath so I took a few seconds rest. Then I set about untying the dinghy. The rope had got stuck somehow. Then Dad arrived, I managed to untie the dinghy and leapt in as Dad pushed us out with one of the oars.

The tide was in so we made slow progress trying to escape the natural harbour. But finally we were out so dad fired up the engine and we were out of there.

A bit later, we arrived back at the huts. Dad checked the time 11;43. It had only taken us about 12 minutes. Mum was very impressed. As we all left, Mum noticed that someone was growing vegetables.

A few minutes into the dinghy trip back to the boat the engine cut out. Dad made a few attempts to get it going again but they were unsuccessful. A boat passes by and a man aboard asked us if we had a problem. Dad said no.

We soon came to regret that decision. The engine wouldn't start up again so Quinn had to row. It was slow going even with Quinn giving it his all. Maybe too much, one of the oars came out of the holder. While dad fixed the holder, Quinn miraculously fired up the engine again. The dinghy shot forward like a bullet and sped to the boat.

Once we got back, we had all had a choklad bullar and a siesta. The rest of the day was rather uneventful. We sailed to Fjallbacka. Now we've all been fed and will turn in for the night later.

Elliott Almqvist.
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com