Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

Brittany Stop

28 June 2015 | 10 Nm South of Raz de Seine
Ulric WSW3
Sunday 28th of June 2015



Using Dutch time, as Hans calls CET, the day is almost over. I can still see the lights of Brittany and the Isle de Seine astern. The Pointe de Penmarc'h light house still beams a shining light out on my port side. We had a short stop in France. We arrived at 8pm yesterday night and left at 2pm today. However, it was very enjoyable. We had both dinner and lunch ashore. We sampled the local seafood; mussels, fish and oysters. Did a food shop, as well as filled diesel and water. A full night's sleep without watches did us well!



L'Aberwrach is a nice place. It is conveniently situated on the tip of Brittany before you enter the Chenal de Four. It is on a river and the approach is not too difficult. L'Aberwrachi s a bit of a rural sailing centre: lots of dinghy sailing. The supermarket is 2 kilometers away in Landeda, so you get to see a bit of the surroundings as well. I keep being surprised how French France is. Everybody driving French cars. And everybody being so proud and self confident in their nationality.



The weather forecast for the next few days is a high pressure over the Bay of Biscay with light winds coming in several different directions. We should have plenty of sunshine and no rain. Most likely quite a bit of motoring will be necessary not only to top up the batteries, but keep going towards our destination. We haven't decided exactly where we will call, but A Coruna in Galicia is a good plan for now.



On the technical front, we solved some things and hit a few new problems. The computer refused to dial up the satellite phone's modem. That is no good as we can not get weather forecasts, communicate via email nor post blogs at sea! Another program was using its com port. We suspected that the new navigation programme Open CPN or more particularly its chart stick could be the culprit. However, after connecting and disconnecting the sat phone, we got it working again.



Next problem was smell of burnt rubber and squeaky sounds from the engine. It seemed to be a belt issue. Not good as they turn the alternators which produces our electricity and already the generator is not operational! Hans managed to tighten the belts so touch wood, we should not have a problem.



I can just see the faint lights of the passenger ferry Port Aven bound for Santander at a distance in the haze. It is a murky night; dark as the complete cloud cover blocks out the moon. Queenie likes the ride. She is doing seven knots in nine knots of wind as she is on a close reach. It was very memorable to pass by the famous Breton light houses as we proceeded both through the Chenal de Four and Raz de Seine today. Hans took some photos. The tidal streams are strong and very local. You are suddenly swept by three knots of tide and the next moment nothing! We had a race to get to Raz de Seine as the tide was turning against us between 9 and 10 tonight.



The watches started later than normal today since we both had tried to resolve this belt issue on the engine. I am very tired now and am day dreaming of my bunk. The boat has a pleasant motion with these light winds, so not really much to complain about!



Ulric Almqvist
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com