Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

The Most Amazing Evening

29 June 2015 | 176 Nm NE of La Coruna and 136 Nm SSW of Raz de Seine
Ulric E3
Monday 29th of June 2015

I woke up from my early evening watch off by the boat tilting slightly and the sound of water against the hull. I had a quick look at the instrument by the bunk in the Queen's Cabin, as the aft cabin of Queen's Ransom is called. The wind speed had increased to 18 knots and we were speeding along under the asymmetric or asym as my racing guys calls it. 20 knots is the limit with this sail. I went up to the cockpit where Hans were just taking picture of a picture perfect sun set.



It was the most amazing evening as we suddenly were surrounded by a sea of dolphins while doing 8 knots under a beautiful down wind sail as the sun was setting. They stayed with us for a long time; jumping out of the water and playing by the bow. It was with great reluctance that we decided to take down the asymmetric for the night and rig a more conservative poled out genoa to leeward and stay sail sheeted on the other side. I was joking to Hans that we were using almost all ropes onboard, even the running back stays. The kind of configuration we ran as we were leaving Tenerife on our first Atlantic crossing. The dolphins must have been surprised as Queenie slowed down to five knots as the asym came down.



However, with the other sails up again, we could still make a respectable seven knots on a more downwind wind angle which suited us better to reach Cape Finisterre. It was the best summer evening of the year this far, yes and in fact the best day as well. The weather was warm, sun from a clear blue sky, light winds and a calm sea. Dinner and some red wine in the cockpit. Life as it best!



It is a big contrast with last night. Gone is the murkiness and the moon is almost full. I can still see plenty of stars in the sky. We are pretty much in the middle of the Bay of Biscay or Bay of Dolphins as it is now called. It is 176 Nm to La Coruna and 136 Nm to Raz de Seine. We have left the continental shelf so we have more than 4000m of water under the keel. We are far away from civilization. I can see the cargo ships on AIS on a straight line between Ushant and Cape Finisterre some 60 Nm to the West while the fishing boats tend to stay on the continental shelf some 60 Nm to the North West of us. However, soon enough, we will be back in it all. Expected ETA in Northern Spain is early Wednesday morning.



Ulric Almqvist
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com