Adventures of Que Sera Sera

01 March 2015
21 May 2014 | Edgewater, MD
19 December 2013 | Marathon, FL
05 December 2013 | MARATHON, FL
29 August 2013 | Newburyport, MA
23 June 2013 | Florida to Annapolis
18 May 2013 | The Abacos
23 April 2013 | George Town to Spanish Wells
23 April 2013 | Big Majors to George Town
11 March 2013 | Black Point
06 January 2013 | Marathon, FL
27 December 2012 | Marathon, Fl
14 December 2012
28 November 2012 | Brunswick, GA

Brunswick, GA to Daytona, FL

14 December 2012
Lauren
12/5/12 Last night we were invited to have cocktails with Nina and Andre from Clinton, MA along with their friends, Judy and Tony from New Foundland. I brought deviled eggs and a bottle of Prosecco. Once the appetizers were dispensed, Nina announced that she was also serving dinner as they were heading to family for the holidays and wanted to empty her fridge. Andre grilled a pork loin, Judy made a stir fried rice and Nina roasted butternut squash --- delicious meal and a wonderful evening. Judy rode a bike down to our boat the next morning to say goodbye. Left Brunswick, GA to Jekyll Island. Before leaving Brunswick we met with Wayne, the mechanic, for the marina and he showed us how to bleed the air out of the engine as we think that is part of our engine problem. Our first motoring on the ICW - I navigated the short trip of 6 hours. There were three other boats in the anchorage, but no one on board on any of them. Our first anchorage and it went smoothly. Dinghied to fishing dock and started to walk into town, when Joey, who had been fishing, offered us a ride closer to town - we accepted - he was very pleasant. Walked the beach for a bit and then walked through the historic area of the Island - beautiful old homes now a resort - inns, restaurants, bike paths, shops, etc. It used to be a private resort for the railroad barons.

12/6/12 The next morning motored to Fernandina Beach, FL (yeah - made FL). Took five hours. Overcast and warm, but the breeze was chilly. Just as we anchored in Fernandina, the fog rolled in. Brian found an oil leak and repaired that and also tightened all clamps on the fuel pickup trying to find the air leak still.

Dinner - chicken parm with pasta

12/7/12 We motored to Little Sister's Bridge and then anchored. One other boat anchored next to us. It was a cloudy, then a rather foggy day - about ½ mile visibility, o other sailing vessels on the ICW except fishing boats. Showered in the cockpit as motoring all day gave us nice hot water, but BRRRR, the air was cold. Got ready for bed early as we were tired, but the Coast Guard showed up as our navigation light was lit instead of the anchoring light - WHAT??? Don't know when or how that came about as when our recent survey was done for insurance purposes, the anchor light was working just fine. So, while they were on board, they check out everything - all safety equipment, the head - to make sure we weren't dumping into the ICW and chatted us up - four of these guys and so, so young and very pleasant - only gave us a warning to get the anchor light fixed within 15 days. Called our electronics guy from Charleston right away - what gives? Trying to figure out that problem now. And here Brian was worried about us being bored - with so much to fix, repair, replace, etc. - LOL

Dinner - baked mac and cheese with ham chuncks

12/8 & 9/12 We traveled to St. Augustine Municipal Marina, an eight hour day. We weren't even sure we wanted to leave this morning as it was foggy - about ¼ mile visibility. Guess we needed the adventure. Fog was supposed to lift about 11 and did about 12:30 - such a strain on the eyes. Miles and mile and miles of marshland - lots of fishermen out today - looked like there was a tournament going on - our guess was they were throwing nets to catch shrimp. Brian saw a bald eagle. Part of the stretch we did today was listed as Roscoe's BLVD - big houses right on top of each other and rather elaborate boat launches for nearly every house. Made it to the Lion's Bridge in St. Augustine on time (it's a Bascule Bridge and have to wait for it to open) - only had to idle for about 5 minutes waiting for it to open. As soon as we were through we picked up our mooring ball and the fog immediately enveloped us completely. Early evening we saw all kinds of commotion near the bridge and discovered a parade of lights - too far to really get a good look, but a few boats did come our way. Next day, we explored the town of St. Augustine. It is a nice old town but a little too touristy.

Dinner - Pork Chops and sauted spinach with chunked tomato

12/10/12 Upon leaving St. Augustine, discovered the transmission would not shift into gear - Brian added one quart of transmission fluid and we were ok - seal problem?? Nice sunny and warm day - we actually had a few boats keeping us company on the ICW - first time. I learned how to use the VHF radio to talk to passing boats (see I can do 2 things at once). Saw quite a few dolphins and love watching the pelicans skim along the water - for such a prehistoric looking bird, it is so graceful when it flies, but when it dives for a fish it looks like it's hitting hard ground. Brian got our water maker up and running and we were able to fill our water tanks - yeah!!! Stopped early near the now defunct Cement Plant as inclement weather was imminent and according to Skipper Bob's book on traveling the ICW, there was nothing else within miles for good anchoring. About 3 hours later, a tornado came through - the hard rain, high winds and lightning (scary). The lightning freaked me out and then I was a nervous wreck about not holding our anchorage. We were fine, though I did not sleep well. Thankfully, the tornado zipped in and out of our area rather quickly, though, not quick enough for me.

Dinner - Pancakes with black raspberries and bacon

12/11/12 We decided the night before to try and get an earlier start than usual which we did try to do. The engine would not start - brother!!! Brian checked all the fluids for the engine - all looked good. Noticed the batteries were just about out of juice - should not be - they are brand new. He started up the generator and within 3 minutes the engine started - guess we don't need Sea Tow today. Called ahead to a service marina in Daytona (Aquamarina) to get dock space for repairs. Had our first grounding - I was at the helm and thought I was still in the channel when I realized the boat just stopped - Brian came to the rescue and quickly backed the boat off and I resumed entering the marina when, my attention was drawn to the Chart House Restaurant as we were motoring in and I was so focused on maybe a steak dinner that I almost ran into the green piling BUT, fortunately I did not. Continued on after a mental slap and we brought the boat safely to dock with Brian at the helm (yes I chickened out) - I handed over the lines and we actually did a good job - no crash landings. Brian met with Ray the mechanic. He was just leaving for a trade show but will be able to work on the engine on Friday (think I'll catch up on laundry that day). Today is Tuesday - yep, there goes the budget for this month. I don't mind anchoring, but do like the marinas - real showers, laundry, get rid of our garbage, etc. Maybe we will get that steak. We've actually have been eating rather well - stocked up in Charleston at a Costco - lots of meats and Prosecco. We mostly pick up bread and milk and some fresh fruit and veggies when we can. Learning to cook for two as I don't have the fridge or freezer space for lots of leftovers. Brian discovered a West Marine nearby and went for a walk and I'm sure he won't come back empty handed.

Dinner: Roasted chicken thighs, carrots and scalloped potatoes

12/12/12 Cooked a bacon, egg, homefries breakfast and used up last of the home made bread for toasting knowing that Brian was going to have the floor opened up and working on the engine, yet again and would most likely not stop for lunch. After the breakfast clean up, I baked chocolate chip cookies and made darn sure I looked before I took any steps in the galley - don't need any broken legs. Brian would be up to his elbows in grease and discover he would need a part, so a walk to West Marine - about a little over a 1/2 mile one way. Change back into his grubs and back to work - oops - another part needs to be replaced - change clothes and walk back to WM - change back into grubs and after a while - geesh! need another replacement part - good grief! The third time he had to go to WM, I joined him for the walk. The weather was cold and damp and windy, but the walk felt great. By mid afternoon Brian called it quits. Made stuffed peppers for dinner and used up the leftover mexican rice to mix with the hamburger - not bad.

12/13/12 & 12/14/12 Winds very high - still damp and spitting and so gloomy. Ray the mechanic stopped by to get started on the engine on Thursday for a bit and is working on it all day today. He discovered that that bolts in the transmission seal were sheered off among other things that have to be fixed. New parts have to be made. Not sure if we will be able to leave here tomorrow. Caught up on laundry and Brian got this blog site up and running for us. Last night took a walk into Daytona' main drag and stopped for a pizza. If we are here tomorrow, we will check out the farmer's market and maybe head towards the beach area for a look see. Right now, it's raining yet again. Yesterday's weather report said that this low was moving out - doesn't look like it - can't wait for that Florida sunshine and warm weather we've always heard about - lol.
Vessel Name: Que Sera Sera
Vessel Make/Model: 1979 Tayana V-42
Hailing Port: Boston, MA
Crew: Brian and Lauren Bagby

Who: Brian and Lauren Bagby
Port: Boston, MA