People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Midsummer Update

22 June 2015 | Toronto, Canada
Belinda & Kit
Picture shows the 'Maid of the Mist' up close under Niagara Falls

View more pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/yacht.quilcene

Well Quilcene is finally lifted and stored in a safe yard at Green Cove Sprigs, so we set off on our travels. We hired a car and drove first to St Augustine, Florida where we immediately crashed out at the hotel to recover from the exertions of sorting out the boat in the 90+ F heat. (Hope it's cooler on our return!)

Once rested we became tourists for a day, wandering through the interesting old city; St Augustine is the oldest European-established settlement in the continental United States and dates back to 1565. It has been in Spanish, British and finally American hands during its history. Consequently the streets are lined with some lovely historic houses from various periods; Spanish colonial, as well as 19th-century architecture.

One of the best things we found there was live music; many of the bars and restaurants have free entertainment and we picked out where to go by following the music we heard as we wandered around. ..and later we took a cooling swim and relaxed by the hotel pool.

Next we headed to Orlando where we spent the night in a lovely hotel before flying to Toronto to see Kits brother Peter who he hadn't seen for 11 years. It was so good to see Peter, Pat and their family and Ontario is great in June; thankfully cooler than Florida, around 20-23C (yes, Centrigrade is used here; around 73-80F) with warm sunshine that we can actually bear to sit out in! Peter and Pat live very close to the shores of Lake Ontario and a yacht club so we felt quite at home looking at the yachts!

Peter drove us to Niagara - Wow, it is so impressive to see the falls for real and not just a picture! After a good look at the falls we headed down to Niagara on the Lake, a pretty town on the lakeside where the Niagara River issues into Lake Ontario. ..and of course like so many places there is a nice Irish Pub to have lunch in!

Kit & I took the local 'Go' train and a spent a day walking our socks off around the big city of Toronto - a lively place with lots going on. I was fascinated by reflections in the glass of the tall buildings (see Picasa pics). We wandered through the Chinatown and Little Italy districts, enjoying their 'Bohemian' feel after the busy downtown business and shopping areas.

Whilst at Peters I was so pleased to have a visit from my late cousin Vernon's wife Ruth. When Vernon and Ruth retired from teaching in Canada they enjoyed many years of cruising the Caribbean, particularly in the BVI's, on their yacht 'Sea Dream 1'. I was always inspired by their adventurous spirit and hoped to do something similar if ever I had the opportunity - and of course here I am doing it!

Ruth wrote an amazing story about a yachting incident from their cruising days, and with her permission I have included a link to the article below;

http://www.womenandcruising.com/blog/2013/08/it-aint-over-outstanding-story-from-caribbean-compass/

Now we're about to fly back to the UK, leaving Quilcene for quite a long break. Devon here we come - after London and Coventry!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016