People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Back aboard in Grenada.

04 November 2014
Belinda and Kit
Picture shows BBQ at Grenada Coastguards

More pics soon....

Current Position: 11 59.85N, 61 45.80W At anchor in Prickly bay

Summer in the UK was very good this year, we know because we were there for much of it; for 3 months to be exact! It was lovely to see the family for more than a flying visit! During that time we stayed for a few weeks on a friend's yacht in Yacht Havens marina, Plymouth - home from home! We had a lovely time walking and visiting some of our favourite places in Devon. We stressed a bit over a house purchase but it was finally sorted out before we flew back to Grenada.

Quilcene was fine with hardly any of the dreaded mould that appears on the woodwork in this tropical climate, so once we'd recovered from the flight we set about fitting sails and canvas back on. She was soon shipshape again so after a hot sticky week in the marina we motored out to St Georges anchorage - and spent a rolly first night at anchor! Things have improved since then and we are now back in Prickly Bay amidst yachts hailing for all over the globe - including South Africa, USA, Norway, Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, Zimbabwe(!), Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands, and of course several Caribbean countries..... we have great fun flag-spotting!

We had to go alongside the dock at Spice Island boatyard to have some stainless work done on the boat stern. It's all finished now but it was a trying few days as we had to remove the bimini which shades the cockpit, couldn't put up the new awning, and it was hot as hell alongside the dock. Also we were next to the boat lift so every hour or so it came along making so much noise you couldn't hear yourself speak! We spent a lot of time down below with two fans directed on us! I did take the opportunity of using the sewing machine to do some canvas work (alter the bimini, make a new hatch shade) whilst we had shore power tho'. Still, it looks good now it's all finished and Kit has been fitting everything back on (wind generator, liferaft, solar panels).

It was great to get back out on anchor and be able to have a lovely swim every day! ...and we sometimes get the company of a friendly turtle although he/she doesn't come too close.

The yachties were all invited to the Grenada Coastguard open day & BBQ last Friday. We got to chat to the coastguards and hear a bit more about the work they do. They have a large compound near the dock here and have lots of motor boats in there. They've all been confiscated as they were caught running drugs up the islands!

We had a lovely time, they're a really nice bunch and ran the BBQ and bar all afternoon - a pretty hot job here - but still kept up a friendly face for the visitors.

Last Sunday we walked over to Secret Harbour marina in the next bay where a yacht jumble was being held. We resisted buying anything as we have enough jumble of our own but did bump into Don & Glenys off 'Aguatherapy' and arranged to meet up at The Tikki Bar in Prickly Bay for Happy Hour and a pizza. We'd last seen them in Carriacou in June when we also went ashore for pizzas - do I detect a pattern developing??

So now we have started planning our seasons sailing - no problem with the direction - North! However the exact route is still undecided with so many Caribbean islands to visit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016