People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Back on the water at last!

22 March 2016
Picture shows Quilcene about to be launched

Slowly, slowly Quilcene began to look shipshape again. The new winches were delivered and fitted, the bottom sanded and painted, the cutlass bearing fitted, the propeller back in place, and a hundred other jobs completed.

We were given a date for splashing, 18th March, but it came and went and we were still high and dry. The tug truck that moves the yachts to the boatlift had broken down and was awaiting parts. The new launch date was Tuesday 22nd - so we waited with fingers crossed. Living on a boat out of water is inconvenient to say the least; every bit of water we use goes into a tub which has to be emptied every day, not to mention slopping out! (..both 'blue' jobs of course!). Surprising how adaptable we can be! ..and don't suppose we're in a warm paradise here either - it's been very cold for the last few days, especially the nights; on Monday night the temperature dropped to 36F that's 2C. Just above freezing and we have no heat on the boat!

But it's not all bad - whilst waiting to be launched we've been socialising; We made contact with OCC (Ocean Cruising Club) Port Officers for Green Cove Springs and met them for dinner at a local Pan Asian place. Frank and Pam were very helpful and welcoming and we spent a great evening chatting about - guess what? Cruising! Frank also gave us a lift back from Jacksonville where we had to return the rental car which was very helpful.

Another evening we were invited for sundowners and supper aboard 'Shin Deera' by English couple Bridget and Martin. We had a lovely evening. Shin Deera is also high and dry and undergoing repairs and renovation but nonetheless Bridget and Martin played host; we were waiting until we're finally afloat before we risk having guests aboard!

Our cupboards are once again well stocked, not an easy task here; the supermarkets are vast with aisles of similar products just different brands - and all full of sugar! For instance there are dozens of brands of Baked Beans all proudly claiming to be flavoured with bacon and brown sugar, or sausage and brown sugar, or molasses, or maple syrup. We tried one tin of beans but couldn't eat it as it was so sweet! We eventually found 'vegetarian' beans with no meat and only a low percentage of sugar, although plain white beans and our home made tomato sauce will be my choice from now on. Much of the bread seems to contain high sugar levels too, in fact it's difficult to find anything without added sugar!

Anyway don't knock the new UK 'sugar tax' - if it helps to prevent all our food and drink being sweetened I'm all for it!

We've become inveterate readers of food labels in an effort to eat properly. At least the fresh fruit and vegetables are good, although it has to be said there's not as much choice of salad and veg here as in the UK. Maybe that's a good thing as not so many air miles are involved?

Anyway enough of that - it's Tuesday and we're finally afloat! Yay!!!

A few days to re-fit the sails and we'll be on our way - although before we leave I have a feeling we may have a bit more socialising to do; Bob and Lesley on 'Moon Rebel' who we met in Greece and haven't seen since, have just arrived to pick up their boat, which was also stored in Green Cove Springs.

Meantime it's wonderful to hear the water lapping against the sides of Quilcene - music to our ears!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016