Bookmark and Share
Draggin Up
Going South
01/20/2012, Marsh Harbour Bahamas

Well I will try to get my blog caught up finally. Nelson Crowhurst and myself left Point Lookout Marina on Nov. 25th 2011 destination Bermuda. We motored all day and arrived in Norfork Va. around 2AM the next day. Stayed in Norfork until the 28th and then on through the Great Dismal Swamp on our way to Moorehead City. We got to Moorehead City on Dec. 1st and enjoyed the brief time we had there. Plans changed, we got advice that Bermuda would not be the most prudent destination at this time of year so we sailed down to Charleston. From Charleston we again went of shore to Jacksonville FL. and arrived in St. Augustine on Dec. 10th. The auto-helm was not working properly so we took a mooring ball in St. Augustine. Nelson had to get back to work so he left the 20th for Vancouver. Hopefully Nelson had a good time and the trip was memorable for hime.

Elizabeth City to Norfolk VA.

I'm just going through my log now to finish off my blog covering the trip north. We arrived in Elizabeth City on Aug. 2nd the temp. was 94 F. so we spent some time in the interesting Museum and enjoyed the A/C in there. The Elizabeth docks are free but have no power or internet. One of the local welcomers drove me to a filling station for fuel. Despite the temp. we did enjoy the town.
We travelled to deep creek on the 4th and anchored overnight at South Mills before locking out the following morning. I should mention that we did strike several logs on the south portion of the great dismal swap and the water was covered with duck weed.
We arrived in Norfolk on the 5th and tied up in Waterside Marina. Enjoyed our stay there hooked up to power, free showers, pump out facilities and good internet connection.
Carolines sister Debbie arrived from Annandale VA. and rescued Caroline, taking her home for a couple of weeks visit. The picture was taken at Virgina Beach during our stay at Norfolk

12/18/2011 | Bonny and Gerry
We were just talking about you last night, Steve, and wondering how your journey is going. We hope all is well and you're enjoying the life aboard. Update us soon!
North from Moorehead City, NC
Stephen Miller, Still Hot
09/20/2011, North Carolina

We leave from Moorehead City on July 31st and travel through a narrow canal, part of the intercoastal waterway. Once through the canal we then enter Ratton Bay which is part of Pamlico Sound. The weather was quite nice until we got about about 2/3 the way to the turn at Bay Pt. The wind picked up to 20knots gusting to 30 from the east and it was quite rough until we again reached the narrow canal. We found a good anchorage at Eastham Creek but again a lightning storm went over with wind gusts to 40knots.
The next day we passed Pamlico Beach went up towards Belhaven and through a long passage in East Dismal Swamp to the Alligator River where we again anchored for the night. Our anchorage was very pleasant with no bugs, a beautiful sunset to finish off the day.

11/25/2011 | Chuck Davison
I found yer Blog
11/27/2011 | Ken and Carole
Hey there, I had not checked your blog in a while, last time there was nothing on it. Hope all is going well with your trip...looking forward to an update.
12/16/2011 | Brian Gilhooly
Hi Steve. Still looking for note on your progress. Hope all is going well. I'll keep watching your blog for info.
Turning North
07/29/2011, Morehead City,NC

We left Charleston on July 23 and carried on for about 36 miles stopping at an anchorage called Minim Creek. On the way today the coast guard slowed us down and kept us away from a dolphin that was in distress. They were trying to determine if it had maybe been struck by a boat.
The next evening we stayed at Osprey Marina just south of Myrtle Beach. We were hit by another torrential rain just when we arrived and had to delay our entrance into the marina until the rain subsided.
Our next destination was Blue Water Point Marina on the south end of Oak Island, the weather was quite bad with heavy rain and lightning. This was a nice place to hole up for 2 days waiting for improved weather. There was a very good sea food restaurant that served huge portions and it was a short walk to the Atlantic side of the island to watch the surf. This was a tricky marina to get into, very shallow water and just a ditch to follow in and out. We had to leave at 5:45Am to ensure we had enough water(high tide).
We anchored the next evening at Mike Hammock Bay at mile 244 on the ICW. The bay was quite large for these parts and was an Army Staging area. There were two large docks and a huge boat ramp. There another boat there and the evening looked great. After we went to bed there were several choppers that seemed to circle the area, very noisy. Then in the middle of the night another storm. We woke to find ourselves much closer to the docks than we had been the night before.
On July 28th we travelled to Spooner Creek Basin in Morehead City. I had to purchase a new Auto-Helm as the old one on the boat wasn't working properly. The West Marine store and Wal-Mart were quite close to the creek which was quite convenient.
We are going to spend tonight July 29 and tomorrow night in the Morehead City Yacht Basin Marina so I can complete the installation of the new Auto-Helm.

Still Truckin
Stephen/Hot Again
07/22/2011, Charleston SC

We arrived in Charleston on July 18th, the weather for the first two days was somewhat cooler being in the mid-80's. We toured the city, visited Fort Sumpter, took a tour of a plantation and today I visited the aircraft carrier York Town on display across the river. It's turned hot again so we are leaving early in the morning July, 23rd and hope to be near Myrtle Beach in 2 or 3 days. Dove on the prop today to clean it, there wasn't as much growth as I expected. The farther north we go the ICW seems to get easier to navigate with fewer areas to cause concern. Should say in closing that Charleston is a very easy city to like and we would both come back given the chance although maybe in a cooler season.

Midnight in the Garden
Stephen Miller/Still Hot
07/13/2011, Skull Creek Marina

From Jeckyll Island we have carefully wound our way through Georgia. We have travelled through the shallower sections at high or near high tide and we made it through without touching ground. The anchorages and for that matter the marinas can be quite buggy and repellant is a must. We stopped in Brunswick GA to have an alternator checked then anchored three nights before getting into Savannah.
We toured the city and checked out a museum and two historic homes. We checked out the shopping on River Street, which was primarily mostly T shirts and trinkets. We ate more ice cream than we should have due to the extreme heat. The moorage in Savannah is expensive and we found it very bumpy due to the constant ship and tug traffic on the river. There were no pump outs in Savannah and the marina had no facilities so we cut our visit short and left after two nights. We are in Skull Creek Marina tonight catching up on e-mail, laundry, etc.

07/22/2011 | Bonny
Love the updates, Steve. It's quite an adventure and the best is still to come - right? We keep hearing about the terrible heat down there and we really feel for you! I'd be melting, or trying to stay cool by being dragged by a line off the stern (now, isn't that a picture for your mind!).

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]



Powered by SailBlogs