Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

Stowing, Drinking (coffee) and Waiting

18 November 2006 | Winchester Bay, OR 43 40.75 N 124 10.94 W
Angela
Hello Everyone,

Angela here?
You may be wondering where in the world we are right now...Well, we are still in our slip here in Winchester Bay, Oregon.

Those of you in Washington state might have some idea why we're still here. The weather has been relentless. We got our first taste of the 'Pineapple Express', (a low pressure system that moves in from Hawaii, bringing buckets of rain), just as we were leaving Tacoma for a 320 mile drive south.

Backtracking just a little? as of the early morning of Nov. 1st, we were homeless in Tacoma. It was still dark, we had cleared out of the apartment and had a van and a small U-Haul trailer full of stuff.
Unfortunately, we still had a storage unit that had to be cleared out, and some other loose ends to tie up.

Graciously, our good friends in Parkland let us stay with them until we got everything all tidied up.

Tidying up everything in your life takes some time. That is especially true when dealing with a pack rat, (me). Countless trips later, between our new and old storage units, and a few to Goodwill, we finally had our stuff paired down to a manageable pile. Our friends helped us get the last of the stuff stowed away and by the morning of Nov. 4th, all there was left to do was sell the Subaru, jump in the van and drive.

At a reduced price, our Subaru drove off with a new owner, we made a couple sandwiches and took off for the boat. On a good note, the Pineapple Express had waited to roll in until we were done moving boxes?on a not so good note, it hit just as we were getting on the interstate.

Under sheets of rain, going about 30 MPH, with our little U-Haul on the verge of hydroplaning, we puttered down I-5. We made it to Salem, OR before giving up and getting a hotel for the night.

So, here we are, 2+ weeks later, still stowing things away on the boat, drinking some good coffee, and waiting for our weather window. The Pineapple Express did pass, but behind it came one low pressure system after another, bringing gusts of wind up to 60 knots. The boat pulled and tugged on her mooring lines, but Malou didn't seem to mind. That's the beauty of being two years old. It's all fun, and time is irrelevant.

Take care,
Angela Rose Aquino
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org