Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

Here for now... aren't we all.

30 April 2007 | San Blas, Mexico - anchored in Mantanchen Bay
Angela and Steen
We arrived here in San Blas Friday morning, April 27th.

We are anchored in lovely Mantanchen Bay, surrounded by sandy beaches, palm trees, and palapas, (outdoor restaurants with palm leaf thatched roofs). Green tree-covered mountains rise beyond the beach, giving this place a very tropical look.

This is a different Mexico than we have seen previously. It is tropical and agricultural, unlike the barren Pacific Baja coast. Also, there are few if any American tourists in San Blas, unlike Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan.

Historically, "San Blas was a major center for Spanish domination, and here the Spaniards built the vessels used for exploring the western coast of North America".1 Possibly tomorrow, we will visit the ruins of the Spanish fort and customs house. Currently, San Blas may still be recovering from devastating Hurricane Kenna in 2002. Some buildings have been beautifully restored, while others continue to crumble and peel.

This morning we had the pleasure of meeting a 50 year-old native of San Blas. He was our taxi driver for the trip 10 miles inland to the propane filling station. His service had been recommended and pre-arranged, so 'Alfredo' picked us up at a palapa on the beach at exactly 9:30, and helped carry the propane tanks through the sand to his car. He was very courteous and although speaking little English, very proud to tell us about the local crops and industry that we saw along way.

FYI: Our 'new' American propane gas safety valves were on no use at the propane station outside of town. The only way we could get propane was to have the attendants remove the existing valves, empty the tanks, and refill them using two of the older style valves they had on hand, which we had to buy. Luckily, we can use the old style on the boat, or it might have been a very interesting day.

Anyway, after getting propane, we headed back to the palapa for lunch, (tostadas with either pescado ceviche or shrimp, yum), and then spent the rest of the day in town, walking around, taking photos, and buying some fresh produce.

The only downfall of San Blas that we see thus far, are these blasted bugs; no-see-ums, that infest the beaches at night, and a little during the day, and somehow get out to the boat in the evening, although we are anchored more than the recommended mile off shore. As we have not yet made screens for every port light and hatch, we have to keep the unscreened ports closed at night to keep out the tiny black biting bugs. (We were going to finish the screen project at sea). Accordingly, the temperature in the boat in the evenings is about 85 degrees, (34 C.), though more pleasant during the day.

We do not yet know our long range plans, but the Marqueses are still a possibility. We will need to decide soon, to take advantage of the proper weather windows, both for the trip out, and for the safe sailing season in the South Pacific. Currently, we are awaiting the arrival of some new friends from s/v Momo, whom we met a few weeks ago in Mazatlan. They had already planned to explore San Blas, and we are happy our paths will again cross.

Our plans unfold and we'll keep you posted. Take care, -the crew.

P.S. A special thank you to Captain Norm Goldie, an American ex-pat living in San Blas for over 40 years, devoting his spare time to helping cruisers by offering his expertise on local tips, services, recommendations, and by administering a daily VHF radio network. He has been a great help.

1. information from "Charlie's Charts of the Western Coast of Mexico", by Charles and Margo Wood.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org