Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

Day 10 - San Blas to Marqueses

14 May 2007 | 14 50.50N 117 36.75W, time 1915
Steen
Current conditions: Wind/weather - currently N 15 knots, Sunny, 80 F Sea state - NNW swell, 5 to 7 ft, 8 sec. Boat speed/course - 5.5 knots. Wing-on-wing, drifter and staysail with single-reefed main. Course: 239 degrees.

The trades continue to increase in strength, and we are now making very descent progress towards Hiva Oa. Today is still bumpy. The swells are getting bigger, but are still a bit confused. We really got spoiled the first 7-days out with light winds and almost calm seas, however with the speed we made it would have taken us more than 40-days to get to Hiva Oa. I am sure we will see the beauty of trade wind sailing here in a day or so. If all goes well, we should stay in the trade winds almost the rest of the way. We never take anything for granted when it comes to sailing weather.

Two large sea birds, with purple beaks, took residence on the bow pulpit and on the radar mount yesterday. They hung out there all day and all night. They have no natural fear of humans. You can put your face 2 feet from theirs, and they do not even flinch.

So, we keep on putting miles under the keel, and getting better at our new trade, Passage making. This is nothing like what we thought it was going to be like. It is very peaceful out here, despite the fact that the boat is making lots of different noises traveling over the swells. The open ocean is an awesome part of this world. It is one of the few parts of this world that we humans can not shape or control. It is always in motion, it is always changing. Traveling in a small boat pushed along by the wind, day after day, and week after week, over this vast ocean, and then one day make landfall on a tropical island is an incredible experience. We have started out with the mother of all passages, the North America to the South Pacific island passage. There will likely never be another one like this for us. Well I could go on for along time about this, and maybe some day I will sit down and collect my thoughts. But not today.

It is time for the family to say good night to the sun. Malou will go to bed, and Angela and I will begin our 3+3+2+2 hour night watch schedule.

Today's menu onboard. Breakfast. Hot oatmeal and coffee. Lunch. Bread and fruit. Dinner. Mexican dinner with freshly made tortillas.

Fixed today: -Cleaned bird p... of the solar panels. A large sea bird took a ride on the radar mount last night. This bird totally lacked any toilet manners.

More next time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org