Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

Happy May Day!

01 May 2008 | NZ
Angela
Does anyone still fill paper cones with flowers and leave them at the neighbors' door?
We used to make construction paper cones, fill them with daffodils and put them in the neighbor's screen door, ring the door bell and then run away.

I thought it was a great tradition.

Steen told me that in Denmark in the early Spring, they also had a tradition of sending flowers to people anonymously. When he was a kid, his family had good friends in Greenland, so Steen would pick little spring flowers from their yard and mail them with a spring greeting to their friends in Nuuk, Greenland. They probably would have been the only flowers to be found in Greenland in April, even if they were a little wilty.

Since Whangarei, NZ sits at 36 degrees south, people here are not heralding in the summer, but grudgingly going into fall/winter, so May Day is not a big seller here. There are still flowers blooming here in the temperate (sometimes called sub-tropical) climate of northern New Zealand; birds of paradise, hibiscus and roses, and the fall/winter rain showers keep the trees and grasses green year-round. The temperatures are dropping into the upper 40's and 50's... cold by NZ standards, although in the afternoon, if it stops raining and the sun comes out, it quickly becomes 60 to 70 so it's not exactly the crisp air of a Midwestern Autumn. I often get confused about which season we're going into. As the temperature drops, it seems like Christmas should be right around the corner and we start thinking of which Christmas albums to play.

Well, I'm usually a bit confused in general, so the 'backward' seasons don't really make that much difference. Although, the other day we did have the neighbor girl over to make gingerbread-man cookies.

Like my high school gym teacher once said to me, in one of those rhetorical tones of voice ; "Angela, you wake up to a new world every day don't you".

Do I? I hadn't noticed.


Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org