Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

We are on our way from NZ to Brisbane.

28 May 2008 | 34 22.41S 173 33.08E
Steen
Current conditions: Wind/weather - currently SSW 10 knots, Sunny, F65 Sea state - S swell, 2 to 3 ft, 10 sec. Boat speed/course - 4.5 knots under full main, Stay sail and Yankee. Course: 310 degrees

We are on our way. We left Whangarei harbor yesterday around noon, after checking out of the country with the friendly customs officer. It was a somewhat easy departure day with bright sunshine and little wind. We tied up to a huge pier to check out with customs and one of us had to hold Radiance off so her rigging shrouds didn't rub against the iron bracings that ran along the front edge of the pier. The customs officer was late so we sat there waiting for three hours. Thankfully the current changed and Radiance then held herself off the pier. Angela took the delay as an opportunity to give Malou a much needed bath.

The lack of wind our first day out was okay since sometimes it is nice to motor for a while with the auto pilot on. It gives you a chance to get your sea-legs back and get things sorted out on the boat and not worry about flogging sails during the first night watches. The only problem with that was that Radiance rolled from side to side in the swell with no stabilizing sail, but our time at anchor combined with our sea sick meds did the trick and none of us got sea sick. We motored all night under brilliant stars and a half-moon.

Angela adds: I was on watch during sunrise while Malou and Steen were sleeping, and just after dawn I saw the huge straight wings of an albatross gliding just above the ocean surface. Even at a distance you can get a sense of their huge wing span, and graceful style. It was a good way to start the day and to start the trip. After Steen and Malou came up two more albatross came by to check things out and swoop around the boat. It is like a bonus feature that we sometimes forget about when heading out.

This morning we set sail and have motor-sailed until noon. We would like to pass the north tip of New Zealand before dark. The only major shipping route we will have to cross on the trip runs just north of New Zealand near the Three Kings Islands.

Anyway, today has been a typical first day at sea. Just trying to get used to the watch schedule (aka Lack of sleep), the motion of the boat and the fact that there are no more last minute things that need to get done. There is not much to do out here. You have to start using your mind to keep busy, so we read a lot, talk, play with play dough or just sit and stare at the ocean.

I have not checked the 5-day weather forecast yet today. It will come into our inbox when I send this email out. But I am sure we are in for a mixed bag of weather on this trip.

Today's menu onboard. Breakfast. Cooked oatmeal. Lunch. Pate sandwiches. Dinner. Something with fresh vegetables.

Fixed today: -Nothing. Yet

That is all for today
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org