Ramer Family - From the Prairies to the Sea!

29 June 2010 | San Diego Airport
14 June 2010 | Mission Bay, San Diego
13 June 2010 | San Diego
11 June 2010 | San Diego
08 June 2010 | San Diego
31 May 2010 | Cab San Lucas, Mexico
28 May 2010 | Cabo
27 May 2010 | Los Frailles
26 May 2010 | Los Muertos
25 May 2010 | Cerralvo Channel
24 May 2010
23 May 2010 | La Paz
23 May 2010 | Isla San Jose
22 May 2010 | La Paz, Mexico
16 May 2010 | Puerto Escondido
15 May 2010
08 May 2010 | Santa Rosalia
06 May 2010 | Punta Pulpito
01 May 2010 | Puerto Escondido

Conflicted

15 May 2010
Lisa
My thoughts are discombobulated as I try to wrangle the last pleasurable moments out of this life altering journey while to do lists are choking out these fleeting experiences. I want to relish in every sense to capture what is slipping through my fingers; albeit willingly.

To be human is to be in conflicted. I long for family, friends, familiarity and yet I know that I will probably never know a cruiser's life again. I wondered again at the pod of dolphin at least 500 strong that leap, jump and cavort as they catch their lunch. This just never gets old! I wonder, "Is this the last pod of dolphins I will see?" and I know sadness.

We were anchored in the most beautiful anchorage on this journey (this worthy qualification was very difficult to attain given the bounty of beautiful anchorages in Mexico) in Bahia Salinas on Isla Carmen. The shallow, crystal clear waters reveal a clean sandy bottom that just begs me to jump in! My eyes are trying in vain to capture and keep the color in my mind's eye; to store it for future reference when our life in Alberta is turning into the more muted colors of winter. Will I be able to close my eyes and see the turquoise that defies description? I hope so; and again, I know sadness.

Upon arriving back in Puerto Escondido we fortuitously ran in to two cruising families giving our kids opportunities to just hang out with their peers. I see my kids thrive and bond as they share their stories and experiences with kids who have had the chance to live a most unusual life, as we have. Will they be content in a smaller world? Or, worse,
I wonder will they migrate to the easy, convenient, comfortable life in Canada, choosing to leave behind the awkwardness of meeting new people, trying new foods, broadening their minds?

That question lurks in the dark recesses of my mind, not just for Katryn and Zach but for myself and especially for Brad who lives life more passionately than most. Will I have the gratitude to see the simpler blessings in my day to day life? Will this journey have created in our family an insatiable desire to explore, to travel, to live more simply day-to-day, to meet new people, to immerse ourselves in cultures we struggle to understand? We have lived for a year in constant stages of the uncertain; how do we find a place to do laundry; how do I figure out how much it costs; do they do it or do I; when do I come back to pick it up; do I pay now or later; and on and on....every commonplace experience is filled with these types of uncertainties and we have learned to seek things out, to figure out a new way and to resignedly accept things that just don't make logical sense to our way of doing things. Will our life to too convenient, too comfortable, too certain?

As I contemplate my last week in Mexico I am filled with longing to just get going and then a contradictory longing to make this last just a little longer. We have more desert ridges to hike, more people to meet, more beautiful anchorages begging to be explored, new coral reefs to be snorkeled, more time to learn Spanish, one last taco to be eaten, one more cup of crema elotes with chilli and lime, one more whale to spot, one more fish to be caught, one more.....one more.

One more week. I can only hope the days will be richly filled and worthy of remembrance. I never thought I would mourn the end of this journey; and am surprised by the lump in my throat that brings tears to the surface, and once again.....

I know sadness.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tenacious Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Canada
Crew: Brad, Lisa, Katryn, and Zachariah
Extra: O to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be! Let that grace now like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love; Here's my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.
Tenacious Grace's Photos - Main
exploring the islands
79 Photos
Created 24 April 2010
trip inland by train
80 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
Beach fun
14 Photos
Created 23 March 2010
86 Photos
Created 23 February 2010
92 Photos
Created 4 February 2010
46 Photos
Created 26 December 2009
39 Photos
Created 20 November 2009
32 Photos
Created 10 November 2009
6 Photos
Created 28 September 2009
28 Photos
Created 19 August 2009