My Sailing Experiences

18 May 2009
11 May 2009
25 April 2009
23 April 2009
20 April 2009
18 April 2009
10 April 2009
30 March 2009
23 March 2009
17 March 2009
12 March 2009
26 February 2009
24 October 2008
10 October 2008
03 October 2008

2nd Race of the Thursday Night Series

20 March 2009
Last night was the second race of the Thursday Night Races. We had several experienced crew members aboard last night. The winds were very light and the course was set with few legs. Although the course was short, it was still going to be a long run due to the wind condition. On the first leg it was hard to tell what direction the wind was coming from because there were constant shifts and periods of dead calm. After rounding the first mark things began to settle down and be more consistent. On this leg we were sailing between beam reach and broad reach. We flew the Spinnaker and I was working the strings for the Spinnaker.

After rounding the second mark we were on a close reach. The winds were picking up and we were finally making great progress towards the next mark. We passed several of the competitors in our class during this leg. When we rounded the 3rd mark we were sailing close hauled toward to the finish with only one boat ahead. Keep in mind that the boat we sail on Thursday nights is a 36 foot boat and the competition is comparable in size, give or take a foot or so. We are not exactly sailing dingies on Thursday nights. With that said as we neared the finish, our competition ran aground. That must have been a sickening feeling for the skipper and crew who know this area and sail this area weekly. Top that off with the fact that it was nearly high tide, they just made a big mistake that cost them the race and caused concern over any damage done to the keel. As a result, we came in first place. Although we came in first last week too, with the seconds we have to give up due to size or weight, this same competitor beat us on time. After the running aground mistake, there was not going to be enough time to help them beat us.

I met another group that races on Sundays at the club. Although I'm really not that crazy about racing, it gives me the opportunity to sail on boats that I would not normally have access too. I plan on joining them this Sunday. It will be interesting to get used to another boat and seeing what I can do for another crew as well.

I also really want to start getting to the Sailing Center to get back on the Ideals. I may also look for Sailing Chapter that will hire crew for any weekend charters in the area. I would like to get on some larger boats, like the one for Thursday night, but not in a racing environment.

Til Next Post!

Comments
Vessel Name: Havana
Hailing Port: Tampa, Florida
Crew: Ramon
About:
I am 38 years old and started sailing in 2008. I took sailing classes and started sailing from from the St. Petersburg Sailing Center and got involved with as crew for the Thursday Night Races at Davis Island Yacht Club in Tampa. [...]

Who: Ramon
Port: Tampa, Florida