My Sailing Experiences

18 May 2009
11 May 2009
25 April 2009
23 April 2009
20 April 2009
18 April 2009
10 April 2009
30 March 2009
23 March 2009
17 March 2009
12 March 2009
26 February 2009
24 October 2008
10 October 2008
03 October 2008

Thursday Night Race

30 March 2009
It has been a few days since the race but I wanted to make a post was noted for the record. The winds were running real nice on Thursday evening. It was definitely going to be a fast ride. We adjusted the leads back in preparation of strong winds and puffs. I worked as a grinder for port side jib trimmer and Spinnaker trimmer. The Spinnaker set was awful. Between changing wind directions and the helmsman trying to adjust to the conditions, we lost our sail shape a few times and struggled to regain shape during the remainder of the leg. We maintained ahead of our competition but gave up a lot of ground with the Spinnaker troubles. After rounding the next mark we took down the shoot and close reached our way to the final mark.

When we turned the last mark, we decided to not re-set the Spinnaker given our previous performance. Our competition did reset and within the last few feet of the race, they were able to over take us. Either way, with the time we needed to give them, they obviously won. For another week we were in second place.

I didn't get to do any sailing this weekend. Saturday winds were really strong and my perception was that the sails definitely would been reefed and maybe a second reef would have been needed. Hopefully I can get some more experience trimming the jib or mainsail, grinding just isn't all that challenging. I still need to get to the Sailing Center and get practice time on the Rhodes or Ideals.
Comments
Vessel Name: Havana
Hailing Port: Tampa, Florida
Crew: Ramon
About:
I am 38 years old and started sailing in 2008. I took sailing classes and started sailing from from the St. Petersburg Sailing Center and got involved with as crew for the Thursday Night Races at Davis Island Yacht Club in Tampa. [...]

Who: Ramon
Port: Tampa, Florida