Ranger's Cruise

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN
15 May 2014 | Duluth
27 October 2013
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | On the hard at BIM
12 March 2012 | Duluth
12 March 2012 | Duluth, MN

Painting the Deck-Done!

05 June 2013
The gelcoat on the deck has become so porous that it's really hard to keep clean. Spilled red wine looks like a goat has been sacrificed. After long deliberation and consultation with fellow wizzards, we decided to repaint only the non-non skid portions of the deck and cabin house. Our non skid is in good condition, we are satisfied with its performance, and were not willing to risk compromising it. We chose Awlgrip Insignia White.

This has not been a fun project. As I am writing this I am in my 3rd week of waiting for warmer weather so we can get started on the painting. Awlgrip states we should not try to cure the paint in temps cooler than 55. HA! We are still freezing at night sometimes. Every week I say "next week should be a good painting week." Oh well, we'll get there eventually.

So far Amy and I have prepped, sanded, and primed the deck forward of the cockpit. Soon we will have prepped and primed the remaining surfaces. Then more sanding and waiting for weather.

Now it's July and the deck painting project is (almost) done. Some of it (mostly parts that show) came out great, but there are some spots we just don't look at. Benign myopia. I have some touchup to do. The overall effect is much better that the old gel coat. I noticed that sections of paint I had sanded looked better than the old gel coat. A good job to have behind us.

Postscript: We were out all summer with Ranger and are very happy with the paint job. The boat is a LOT easier to take care of and does look OK.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 383
Hailing Port: Duluth, MN
Crew: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN