Ranger's Cruise

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN
15 May 2014 | Duluth
27 October 2013
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | On the hard at BIM
12 March 2012 | Duluth
12 March 2012 | Duluth, MN

SUNORA and the North Shore

27 October 2013
In early August we joined the annual SUNORA (Superior North Shore Race) which is a Thunder Bay Yacht Club event. The idea is to race/cruise some of the North Shore of Lake Superior, starting just outside Thunder Bay at Tee Harbour.) The pace is leasurely, and while it's a "race," there are provisiions for motoring (which we did every day.) The event works its way east to either the Nipigon area or Rossport. Typically there are around 15 boat involved, going for about a week.

We had a mix of weather including one foggy day, a windy day when we all stayed in the anchorage, but mostly sunny weather.

An exciting experience came when we crossed north of the 49th parallel, going into Nipigon, which is the northern most port on Lake Superior. The locals make a big deal out of it, and I have to say, it was kinda cool.

Going into Nipigon was a hoot. The government built a very substantial public dock that we all could use. The city is very active in promoting itself and really rolled out the red carpet. On the outer end of the dock were two of the city council women dressed as blueberryies. Including stem hats. A sight to behold. We were also warmly greeted by His Worship (yup) the mayor (an experienced sailor). We hung out with him quite late into the evening and learned that he is running for the equivalent of our congress. He said that in poling, he was performing about as well as the marijuana party. I think that's a good thing.....

Our first night at anchor was in Loon Harbour. It's a small harbour and the tendency is to raft. We invited a 26 footer to tie onto us, and hoped that we wouldn't drag (again-we did last year.) The main clique rafted 5 boats wide on 2 anchors. I'd always heard and thought that there could (would) be problems in doing that. Well, turns out, I was right. We missed it, having been up earlier in the night resetting the anchor, but we understand the raft rotated and fouled both rodes, while tangling in a keel or two. Rats, missed it. Oh well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 383
Hailing Port: Duluth, MN
Crew: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN