Ranger's Cruise

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN
15 May 2014 | Duluth
27 October 2013
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | On the hard at BIM
12 March 2012 | Duluth
12 March 2012 | Duluth, MN

The Lonnnnnnnnnnng Winter

15 May 2014 | Duluth
Our winter in Duluth was long, cold, and snowy. Lake Superior froze over nearly completely, which helps to drop the temps even more. Oh well.

Our boat is at Shumway Maine at Rochester, NY (Lake Ontario.) We're going to get back to on May 19th (driving from Duluth.) The car is jammed!

We spent our time getting our lives in order, ordering and fabricating components, and gathering guidebooks & Canadian charts, and reinsuring the boat. We also spoke with a bunch of folks, and are most grateful to Jim Hawkins who has cruised Nova Scotia and Newfoundland for many seasons.

Our plan is to sail out the St. Lawrence Seaway, round the Gaspe, spend the summer in the Maritimes, jump to the US East Coast, and end up in the Chesapeake by mid-September. We'll go back to Minnesota for a month and then back to the boat, heading to the Bahamas for the winter. Oh boy!

Here's a quick list of the components and accomplishments this winter:
-Fabricated a combination outboard motor lift/wind generator mast
-A new Viking liferaft
-Gathered CHS charts (thanks Bob Bruce) and some portfolios of DMA charts. We have nearly complete paper coverage to compliment or 2 chart plotters.
-Bought more fishing gear to catch BIG ONES in the ocean
-Made an agreement with Doug Aertz to house sit for the next year. Whew!
-Made lists, lists, lists.
-A new Hurth transmission. The original one seemed noisy, so we decided just to replace it. The new one feels a lot tighter.
-Amy and I gave eachother Kindles for our 20th wedding anniversary.

So now we need to launch, outfit, provision, clean, rig, fix, stow, repair, polish, wash, etc.

We plan to leave Rochester around Memorial Day weekend. More to come!


Comments
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 383
Hailing Port: Duluth, MN
Crew: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle

Who: Dale Hedtke, Amy Brooks, Harvey the Poodle
Port: Duluth, MN