"We may not have ended up where we intended to go, but we ended up where we needed to be." Douglas Adams

28 March 2014 | St. Helena Island, SC
26 March 2014 | Port Royal, SC
10 March 2014
23 February 2014
03 February 2014
29 January 2014
15 January 2014
04 December 2013
27 November 2013
21 November 2013
07 April 2013 | Regent Point Marina
16 September 2012 | Weems, VA
10 September 2012
17 June 2012

Boat Souls?

11 November 2010
Today I had proof that boats do have souls. I always felt that something as pretty as a boat had to have a soul. Today I have proof. In replacing our rotted out bulkhead Gwyn was varnishing the trim pieces that I had removed from the old bulkhead. On Sunday she had these pieces out on the back of the oyster house here at the marina. They were on a flat board and we did not think that the strong NW wind would be a problem, but we were wrong. Gwyn called me as I was heading into town when she found the trim pieces all over the back deck, lawn and water. She was still missing one piece. I turned around and helped her look for this. Our problem was that we are located next to a oyster processing house and a commercial shipyard. I took the dinghy out for three days trying to locate this trim piece with no luck. We have had a strong N - NW breeze blowing for several days and I felt that this small piece of teak trim was now floating across the creek somewhere.

I have been working on a new trim piece but have had trouble getting the curve right and did not want to keep running a good piece of teak. Today we had a high NE tide and I (this is the strange part) felt a strong need to go out to look for this piece of trim again. There was a very high tide and I felt that I could get closer to shore to look for it. After a few minutes looking there in the water just at the point of Ampro Shipyard was our little piece of teak trim. At this time I knew that Rapport had been sending me a message to go look one last time. So anybody tells you that your boat does not have a soul, tell them that they are full of crap!

Comments
Vessel Name: Rapport
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Cheoy Lee Clipper 36
Hailing Port: Topping, VA
Crew: Ron Koris, Gwyn Nethaway,DVM
About: I am a retired manager of West Marine in Deltaville, VA and my wife, Gwyn, is a retired veterinarian. We have lived aboard our Cheoy Lee Clipper 36, Rapport, since 2003.
Extra: Recent updates to our boat include: New Found Metals ports - awesome, Garmin 4210 Chart plotter with GMR 18 HD radar. Re-caulking cabin sides and re coating with Honey Teak, Great stuff!

Who: Ron Koris, Gwyn Nethaway,DVM
Port: Topping, VA