Bookmark and Share
"We may not have ended up where we intended to go, but we ended up where we needed to be." Douglas Adams
Change of Direction

Well, Gwyn and I have been very busy getting Rapport ready to head south in the last couple of months. We where ready to head south in the next two weeks when Gwyn called BoatUS insurance about coverage from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas. When she got off of the floor she informed me that it would cost us over 2500.00 extra for insurance coverage. As great as BoatUS insurance has been in covering any losses we felt that maybe they were starting to price themselves out of the market. We decided to sail around the Bay this winter, get some more projects done on the boat this next summer and find a more reasonable insurance company. Will keep you informed of our travels and pictures. Smooth sailing and fair winds.

Not going to happen!

I have checked out Ken's 1976 Bristol 30 that he wanted me to take offshore from Derltaville, VA to St. Petersburg, FL. Here is what I found - originial sails, no life raft, only a vhf radio, cooking system was a two burner Oriego stove set on top of the counter, No holding tank, no jack lines, He had no idea as to what his fuel tankage was. This trip for me is not going to happen. I will be prepping our boat for a trip south.


I know it's been awhile since I updated but I have been busy working on our boat. I received a request to captain a Bristol 30 from Deltaville, VA to St. Petersburg, FL. Looking forward to doing the Lake Okeechobee Waterway. Will keep you posted on the delivery. It will probably be the first two weeks of October, then back here to take our boat to the Bahamas.

Finally - The Video!

I finally figured out how to upload this video to YouTube. Click on "The Video" under Favorites on the right side of this page.
We all had a lot of fun sailing Lee Shore home to Carter's Cove Marina in Weems, VA. Park Terrill, the owner, provided us with lots of good cigars for this trip and we had to purchase more in San Salvador (the cubans), Hilton Head, SC and Morehead City, NC. Park even had a shipment waiting for us when we arrived at Carter's Cove.

06/11/2011 | Ray
Great video there. Thanks for making the time. Needs more frontal nudity...


San Salvador to Marsh Harbour

In San Salvador we met Daron at the marina and he gave us a ride to the grocery store and to pick up propane. Tom, Kevin, and I rode in the back of his small pickup trying to hold on for dear life as Daron whipped around on these tiny roads full of pot-holes at 70mph. We decided to spend the night and rented a car to tour the island. We dropped off our dirty clothes with the local laundry lady and she told us about a local restaurant that had good food as we did not want to do the Club Med scene.

We left San Salvador the next morning and had a good sail up the outside of the Bahamas until about 3 pm when the wind died, oh well, back to motoring. We arrived at Marsh Harbour to find a Hugh thunderstorm right over the island. We prepared the boat and ourselves for rough weather, but just as the storm got to us it parted and we motored through with but a few raindrops. After we got through it closed up and gave us at great lighting show. There where many distress calls on the vhf. We decided to bypass Marsh Harbour and head for Charleston, SC.

The story continues.

The third day brought us no wind at all. We only made 28 nm this day. Fourth day finally brought us some wind. Had a great sail through the Turks and Caicos Islands. Fifth day, no wind again, so Capt. Tom made the decision to head to San Salvadore for fuel. We wanted to do just a touch and go, but they would not fuel us up until we cleared customs. We decided to spend the night and get showers. Will write more about our wild ride around the island in the back of a small pick-up at 70 mph.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Ron Koris, Gwyn Nethaway,DVM
Port: Topping, VA
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
Milenka Lee Shore 

Powered by SailBlogs