Redeemed

21 October 2012 | Bundaberg Port Marina
18 October 2012 | Great Keppel Island
18 October 2012 | On the way to Island Head Creek
06 October 2012 | 20 mils North West of Mackay
01 October 2012 | The Newry Islands
01 October 2012 | Thomas Island
24 September 2012 | The Great Barrier Reef
24 September 2012 | The Great Barrier Reef
24 September 2012 | North end of Hook Island
23 September 2012 | Black Island
22 September 2012 | Hayman Island
22 September 2012 | Shoalhaven Anchorage
17 September 2012 | Pioneer Bay, Abel Point
17 September 2012 | Double Bay East
17 September 2012 | Townsville to Bowen
26 August 2012 | Orpheus Island
19 August 2012 | Hinchenbrook Channel
18 August 2012 | Cairns
05 August 2012 | Low Islets
05 August 2012 | 8 miles Nth of Port Douglas

Sailing to Bundaberg

21 October 2012 | Bundaberg Port Marina
Susie
Great Keppel Island is a beautiful spot and definitely worth a longer stay. The water is so clear here that you can see everything on the bottom; shells, starfish, the anchor chain, and even the imprint of where the chain had been as the boat moved slightly during the night!!. But nasty south-easterly change is expected in 3 days time and although we have plenty of time to sail to Pancake Creek and hunker down there for a few days while it blows over, we’ve no guarantee we’ll have northerlies again to blow us home, so we decided to head straight for Bundaberg.

It’s a 30 hour trip if we can average 4 knots but there was absolutely no wind when we left GKI so we motored for a few hours before putting up the sails in a beautiful 8 knot breeze. We had to turn the engine back on later that night as our speed dropped to 2 knots which is a pity because it is glorious sailing at night in easy conditions. I had no problems with my watch (we do 3 hour shifts) but Jim watched a couple of blips on the radar getting progressively closer until he could see their lights and recognised them as container ships. They both passed within a half nautical mile of us but it is a scary experience as they draw close because you’re completely at their mercy...’Do they know we’re here’

The rest of the sail was uneventful and we arrived home happy though a little weary, still together, and already planning boat improvements of the summer and next year’s trip.
Comments
Vessel Name: Redeemed
Vessel Make/Model: MICHEL FRANCQUEVILLE 40ft (12m) Cutter/Sloop
Hailing Port: Port of Bundaberg, Australia
Crew: Jim Stevens (Skipper), Susie (The Admiral)

Who: Jim Stevens (Skipper), Susie (The Admiral)
Port: Port of Bundaberg, Australia