A winter without snow!

The sv Red Sky with her crew of Dan, Sharon, & Skipper will be leaving Kent Island for warmer waters this winter. Follow us.

05 May 2017 | Home in Maryland
19 April 2017
17 April 2017
15 April 2017 | Coinjock Marina, Coinjock, NC
15 April 2017 | Dowry Creek Marina
13 April 2017 | River Dunes Marina, near Oriental, NC.
10 April 2017
04 April 2017 | St James Marina
31 March 2017 | Georgetown, SC Harborwalk Marina
25 March 2017 | St. Johns Yacht Harbor, on the Stono River South of Charleston.
24 March 2017 | Port Royal Landing Marina
22 March 2017 | Isle of Hope Marina, Savannah, GA
20 March 2017 | Jekyll harbor Marina, Jekyll Island, GA
19 March 2017 | Palm Cove Marina, Jacksonville, FL
18 March 2017 | St. Augustine Municipal Marina.
12 March 2017 | Titusville Municipal Marina
09 March 2017 | Telmar Bay Marina
08 March 2017 | Fort Pierce City Marina
04 March 2017 | Old Port Cove Marina, North Palm Beach
02 March 2017

Coinjock, NC

15 April 2017 | Coinjock Marina, Coinjock, NC
The weatherman is not our friend! He has predicted bad weather that has kept us in marinas - and the problem weather never happened. He has predicted days of perfect weather only to slam us with windstorms that questioned our ability to keep afloat. Looking ahead at the weather for the next few days we realized that there is a great possibility tomorrow and Monday would have high (25kts. +) winds and gusts much higher. That was when we had planned to cross Albermarle Sound - a body of water so large & shallow that the predicted winds could be dangerous. So, do we stay in Dowry Creek for two plus days or push on? We decided to head to the Alligator River and spend the night there - but, as we approached the marina we realized that it was quite early in the day and the weather really looked good to cross the Albermarle, so we pushed on. Crossing the sound was pretty effortless except the wind did begin to pick up in the last third or so. We saw 20kts. but nothing more and pulled in at about 5:30. We are planning two nights here just in case the winds do come. By the way, the restaurant here is famous for its 32oz prime rib - I had the 16oz and it was terrific.

Lately, I have been writing about our experiences - I want to talk about comfort today. Our 32 foot Beneteau had a pad in the aft cabin. It was okay for a few days and then you began to wake up with strange aches. Red Sky has a real mattress - and it is every bit as comfortable as our bed at home. The two most expensive comfort items have been the complete cockpit enclosure and the new autopilot. The enclosure has kept us in t-shirts & shorts when we have passed others huddled in winter coats and trying to avoid the rain. And the new autopilot is designed for sailboats 20,000lbs and up. The old one was designed for boats up to 16,500 lbs. Red Sky is 16,500 lbs dry - no water, fuel, provisions, or crew and the old autopilot could not begin to keep up. This one is smooth and easily maintains a course in any weather or sea state we are apt to be out in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Red Sky
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 376
Hailing Port: Chester, Maryland
Crew: Dan & Sharon Ehrenfeld
About: We are about to embark on our most ambitious sailing adventure. In three weeks, weather permitting we will move onto Red Sky and head south for the winter. We plan to spend December through February in the Florida Keys.
Red Sky's Photos - Main
60 Photos
Created 5 May 2017
2 Photos
Created 2 March 2017
10 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
11 Photos
Created 26 November 2016
1 Photo
Created 21 November 2016
6 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
6 Photos
Created 2 November 2016
Dan, Sharon, & of course Skipper
2 Photos
Created 6 September 2016