Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Dominica

07 December 2012
Karen
Safe and sound in Dominica! A beautiful sail!!

After heading out, this time just ahead of the squall, we make it quickly up the coast of Martinique. As we pass Fort of France, in the early dawn, the lights from the town twinkle almost magically along the hillside. Just as we hit the cut I notice that the Outhaul, the back line securing the mainsail is frayed 3 strings away from failure…Bad News! We quickly reefed the mainsail, and just in time as the winds picked up. With the main secured, we put out the jib wit ha double reef and were soon sailing along at 8 knts. Very bumpy in the cut today, with the winds 18 to 23 knts.

We cleared the south end of Dominica, and found sweet, flat seas in the shadow of the island…ahh, my favorite. We past Roseau near 11:30 am, and decided to push on to Portsmouth, another 3 or so hours. When we arrived, near 3:30pm , there was a boat boy there to guide us in, and we were on a mooring shortly thereafter.

Now to the boat repairs. The outhaul was no problem to fix, and we discovered the rough spot that caused the problem. We used tape to smooth it out as best we could to avoid the problem in the future. And we discovered the reason Dominica is so lush and Green, as it rained nearly all night, and into the morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL