Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

everything happens at O dark 30

19 March 2010 | Still on the dock
Karen
We woke this morning at about 4:30 am to a thump that sounded suspiciously like someone jumping aboard the boat from the dock. We both jumped up and I went out thru the saloon, while Jim popped up out of the port forward berth hatch. Nobody on deck...no one in the starboard hull. Oh, the wind picked up significantly last evening..so much so that while we enjoyed a great breeze thru the forward cabin where we are sleeping... it also pumped up the swing of our boat and the boat beside us, so that we bumped hulls. Nothing a properly placed fender won't solve.

We are Mediterranean moored here...another picture you'll have to wait to see (sorry!). Backed in stern to the dock, and lines from the bow going to a mooring ball in front of the boat to keep you off the dock and stable. This allows them to get a lot more boats in the marina, but it can be maddening leaving the dock. In fact, to do so takes at least one dock hand in a dingy untying your lines from the mooring ball, or you're going nowhere.

After that rude awakening and us running around on the deck in our pajamas sleep was elusive. So another day up early to chores, more boat maintenance projects that Philippe was taking care of for us, brilliantly, as usual, some lights on the mast out, engine tests, a full desk washdown, etcetera, then I did it. I broke out the sewing machine, installed the monster Flywheel (that makes it possible to hand crank it) and started my Q flag. It worked perfectly! Yes, I am unnaturally excited about a sewing machine...but let me tell you once I cracked that thing out two of our boat neighbors, who hadn't really spoken much to us, primarily because of the language barrier...all of the sudden want to know how long we are staying!

The kids called tonight via SKYPE and we had a chance to visit with them and our grandsons. Evan, who is nearly 2, was a little creeped out...first off he was not expecting to see us on the computer...he wanted us there, and light is, of course, a bit of a problem since we can't really light the boat up well at night. So we needed to shine flashlights on ourselves to be seen, which is very difficult to see thru. But it was pretty special to have a bit of a visit with them via computer 2000 plus miles away.

We have heard from friends at home that Snow is coming...again...I think I'll stop complaining about the heat.

PS - Laura the answer is 7!...I am plotting to pitch them overboard one by one!
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL