Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Slave Labor

09 October 2010
Karen
Saturday, October 9, 2010

Even knowing all that needs to be done, and planning for it...it's still not quite the same as getting it all done! Doing it is exhausting! We took a walk this morning over to the customs office to see if any of our packages have arrived. Nothing yet, so we hoofed it back empty handed. The office is just under a mile away, so it was an easy distance, but dare I mention it again...the heat ! Temp had to be around 92 - at 7:30 in the morning! We were dripping with sweat before we were out of the main gate.

First order of business on the boat today was to clean the saloon and .... Stuff the cushions! They ALL fit and look just GREAT. The change to the saloon is amazing...Thanks Maureen & Mom...they make all the difference. Of course, Jim and I trying to stuff them was a site for sure..but all worth the effort. We also walked over to the next boat yard to price some bottom paint and primer. Because of the condition of the bottom (flaking paint all over !) we have decided to have it scraped and sanded back to its basecoat, and have completely new primer and antifouling paint applied. It'll take about 7 or 8 days to complete this job. Fortunately, I'm not going to be the one doing it this time.

After lunch, I started on the interior cleaning with one bleach bucket and one vinegar bucket, and managed to clean ½ of each of the heads (top down) both hallways, and ½ of the two forward heads. It's a little challenging to work in the forward berths because each of them has the cushions for both fore and aft berths, a sail, linens, pillows etc. The aft heads are completely empty in preparation for the mechanic coming on Monday.

Jim started washing the top layer of dirt off the hulls. He had to move the scaffold about 10 times and climb up and down. He finished the outer edge of both hulls (the equivalent of our old Monohull) and was getting pretty tired when Raymond and Tony, our mechanics showed up. They got started doing a full service on both engines and by 4pm had pulled the oil, replaced impellers, took out the injectors, found out there is no air filter in the intakes, flushed the coolant, and removed the muffler...times 2. The frames of both mufflers are rusted thru and he could break pieces off in his hand. PAST TIME to replace them! He also took a look at our starboard fuel gauge which is faulty, and will be repairing that too.

So now it is 6pm...the sun just set, and all the day boaters are coming in. We're exhausted and a little achy from all the scrubbing, climbing, crouching, kneeling and hauling. We have finished dinner and cleaned up our little kitchenette and Jim has his choice of 4 college foot ball games (go Irish!) on the air here in Trini! We also get WGN news here at 10pm...but no way will we be awake to watch it. The agenda for tomorrow...more of the same.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL