Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Happy Easter Everyone!

08 April 2012
Karen
Sunday, April 8th, 2012

Big day for us today as we leave St Thomas and head over to Cruz Bay, St. John to clear out of the US and on to St. Martin. We had an equipment failure while on the way from Vieques and our wind instrument stopped reading. The windex at the masthead (the thing that sends the information) seemed fine, so we never took a trip up the mast to check it out for sure. This turned out to be a big mistake. As we left St. Thomas I noticed that the unit was now hanging a bit off kilter, then more so, now it looks like it is shaking a little, and then finally, one especially bumpy ferry wake caused it to finally disengage and jump off! Now, since we have a 12 x 12 foot trampoline net comprising most of our foredeck you would think that maybe it would land ON the boat...NOPE...right over the bow, maybe 3 ft in front of the anchor! Darn it...well, at least you can get Everything boat related in St. Martin....we hope!

After arriving St. John, and picking up a mooring in Caneel Bay, and rocking and rolling with all the boat wakes going thru here, we dropped the dingy, picked up Wind Shepherd and motored around to Cruz Bay where we grabbed some lunch and then took care of customs. Ok - it's all official, we can leave! 2:30 we did just that and headed around the south side of St. John - and set course for St. Martin.
Moon rise is at 8:50 tonight, and we hoped we would get to see the nearly full moon rising from the sea, however clouds prevented that. We did have the moon peeking in and out of the clouds all night, so that brightened things up for us...but still find that I Don't love night sailing. It's bumpy on our course so the boat is moving around like a washing machine and the waves slapping the hull sounds like someone banging on the bottom of the boat...you kind of get used to it...and the earplugs help but it does make sleeping difficult. When Jim woke from his short nap at 4am he said he felt like he was slammed by wrestlers...not really a restful off watch. We continue east.... dead into the wind and seas...(in case I didn't already mention that!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL