Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

The Beauty of Grenada

07 October 2012 | Our AC Apartment
Karen
Friday, Oct 5th

It’s not actually in the scenery, which is spectacular, nor in the temperate weather they enjoy, barring the occasional and nasty hurricane. No, the beauty of Grenada is in its people, both those born here, and those that have chosen it as their home.

On the flight from Miami we shared space with a charming young (American) man named Trey. He travels regularly to Grenada for business as his company has a call center here. They employ over 600 people, which makes them the largest employer in Grenada – after the government. He told us that they also have another center on another island, but the one in Grenada succeeds so well because of the people they employ. The Grenadians are caring, happy people and they can convey that even thru the phone lines. I thought it was a lovely sentiment, and testament to the kindness of the Grenadians. We were also very impressed with who we were with as we watched Trey and his customer whisked thru the immigration line with preferential treatment, ahead even of the locals and ushered away…however on his way out he scanned the ‘peasant’ line that we were in and waved a kind farewell. I guess you never know who you’re talking to.

All week we have been the recipient of kindness and the warmest of welcomes here. Our friends at Cool Runnings, the apartment we stay in could not be nicer to us – in addition to having a wonderful facility. When we checked in on Sunday night – at nearly 9pm we were met at the gate by the owner and proprietor, Dr. Sinclair. He personally welcomed us, and while he had security take charge of our luggage (all of it!) he walked us to our apartment, handed us the key, said welcome back and good night. No credit card exchange, no signing anything – just stop by the office whenever it’s convenient. Now I realize that we have stayed here 3 times before, but really? When we come back from grocery shopping the security guard helps us take our groceries to our room. And Paulina, our housekeeper stops by with extra towels periodically. In addition to check in calls to see if we need anything, the other day the security guard shows up with a bottle of wine, compliments of Dr. Sinclair. Talk about feeling cared for.

Friday we headed over to the marina to check in and make sure they would have a spot for us when we launch on Monday. On the way, we stopped by ‘The Merry Baker’ to say hello to our friends Mary & Nigel, who it seems missed us as much as we missed them. With hugs and kisses all around and 45 minutes of a visit to try and catch up…and a brilliant burger too, since it was burger Friday! When finally, we made it to the marina, it was the same with our friends there and we find ourselves so fortunate to be the recipients of this warm welcome.

I mentioned before how casual the drivers are here. They stop to visit in the road, and wave you around them, they stop to let cars in and turn in front of them, they stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, and wave to let the oncoming traffic know to stop too, and especially to walk a child across the street. A honking horn here is more likely a Hello… or a Thank You, then anything angry. So as we were driving over on Friday one of the busses heading south pulled over into the northbound lane just in front of us, we stop and wondered well – what’s this, there is no shop or turning lane here…but in a minute it became clear…as a young man walked up from the side of the road, thru the graveyard, with two to-go containers tied in a plastic bag..oh, it was a dinner pick up, well that’s a new one…and shortly the driver waves out the window, and the southbound traffic parts to let him back in, and as he passes us he smiles and waves thank you…Now that’s the Beauty of Grenada.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL