Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Chicago taught us many things

06 December 2012
Karen
Thursday, Dec 6th, 2012

We wake to rain, and sneak regretfully, out of Marigot Bay between showers. The conditions are a little bouncier today, and the winds in the cut getting higher. We were followed by seabirds nearly the whole way across and they made a feast on the various fish we stirred up while passing. We made a deal with them…they could eat everything they could catch, so long as they did not poop on our boat….everyone agreed and it was a lovely day.

After dodging multiple floats on our way into Grand Anse D’arlet, Martinique we arrived into a HUGE bay liberally spotted with brand new mooring bouys, which are free to use. Of course, there is a catch….you have to manage to pick one up by yourself. This is a French Island, and prosperous, so no boat boy industry. And did I mention, there is no Mooring pennant, so you are trying to catch a ring at the top of a bouncing, moving ball, and of course the winds are gusting to 27knts. Ah, Ha….but we are from Chicago…where Monroe Harbor is the ideal training ground for this exact situation. I grab the Grab.N.Go hook and line, fit it to the boat hook and after one quick pass where we rolled a little too far over the ball, was able to snag it on the second try, then with my left hand holding the line attached to the ball steady (yeah – right!) I hang my entire torso over the forward crossbeam and with my right hand try to feed the two mooring lines (which I forgot I was laying on!) thru the ring and back up to the deck, where I then shimmy back and tie them off. All this while Jim is holding the boat completely steady (Thrusters at station-keeping Captain!), into 27 Knots, oh, and he can neither see what I am doing, nor hear me since I am basically UNDER the boat! When we talk about teamwork…this is what we mean.

We shared the anchorage with a 5 masted Star Clipper tonight, which is especially lovely with all the masts and spars lit with white lights after dark. Also, we were able to see our first sunset into the sea for the season, a lovely sight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL