Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

We're Baaack

14 November 2014
Karen
Nov 14th - Friday

We are back.... Bobby & his team have taken care of some of the work already, as well as washed, detailed and waxed the hull, and she looks great! So we begin with the glamorous (oh, so NOT) job of getting her ready to launch.

First order of business, get the bimini up so we can get some shade, add the dodger and side panels, remember where we put half of our stuff and get working in the heat. It's hot, dirty work - but we love it...mostly. Ok, so I love it when it's done and we can look back and say - gee, now doesn't that look good.

Saturday, it is more of the same, only today we get to put the trampoline on. Remember when we said it would be easier on land? Yeah, well that was assuming we would have a ladder at our disposal...without one, it just means the land is so much further away...and harder, much harder. Fortunately we didn't experience that firsthand, and while the trampoline is on...it isn't what anyone would call taut. We met with the rigger today, Jorge, to plan some work and he also gave us some tips on how to secure the lines better. We 'll be doing that, um...some other day. Also met with Bobby to catch up on everything happening with him, and scheduling the rest of the work to be done.

And then is more working and organizing....and sweating. Although, it's hard to complain about that after checking the weather back home and seeing everything you are all dealing with.

By 2 pm we are shot, and its off to the pool to cool off, get a few loads of laundry done while we are relaxing, and later back in the room begin putting together the UV covers for the Dingy hoist. All these little projects to make our floating home a little better.

Today, Sunday we took it a little easier, and did only small jobs...like fishing a birdsnest out of the boom. Oddly enough, this in not the first time that we have had to 'de-nest' a boat when we show up to commission her, but it IS the first time I had to take a wire coat hanger and fish it out piece by piece before we can re-run our running rigging.

We also had to swap out our rental car as one of the tires was continually losing pressure. Have to say the folks here at Thrifty were super helpful, and in about 10 minutes we were off and running.

The marina here is undergoing a major renovation, with new security procedures, guard post, additional parking, more drop off locations, etc, etc. Fortunately the office gives us a pass to clear into security and the boat yard, as many of the guards have no English, and well, we have NO Spanish. And in order to deter theft you have to open your trunk when you leave the boat yard...the car we are driving only has the trunk release on the key fob, BUT it only works if the car is turned Off. So as we are driving out we have to stop, park, and shut the engine off, take the key out and pop the trunk, then reverse the process. Can you say cumbersome? All this while playing charades with the guards. Gotta love this life!

Relaxing at the pool, checking in with family and haircuts all on the schedule for this evening.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL