Elysium

11 April 2012 | Brunswick, Ga.
07 April 2012 | Cape Canaveral
07 April 2012 | Florida
23 March 2012 | Key West
18 March 2012 | Marathon, Fl.
17 March 2012 | Marathon, Fl.
04 February 2012 | Marathon, Fl.
01 February 2012 | Gulf of Mexico & Florida Bay
27 January 2012 | S.W. Florida
08 January 2012
05 January 2012
25 December 2011
21 December 2011 | Oriental, North Carolina
20 December 2011
07 April 2011 | Ft. Meyers - Key West, Florida

Ernest Hemingway

23 March 2012 | Key West
RM
I took today off from preparing Elysium for the nearly 900 mile trek back to Oriental to visit the home of Ernest Hemingway in Key West. Being a long time fan of "PaPa Hemingway", I promised myself I would see his home and studio before I left the Keys.

Hemingway lived here for 9 years. It was one of his most productive times as a novelist. He wrote many of his most famous works while living here. There remain many six-toed cats on the property, decendents from the original six-toed cat he raised. Please note the captions with the pictures.

While in Key West I took the opportunity to visit President Harry Trumans summer "White House" also...so a picture of that is included. And finally, a schooner caught my eye that I took a few pictures of. It is a replica of a famous shooner from the late 1800s. And, although it looks just like the original, this one was built with the most modern techniques. For example, although the masts look like solid ceder, they're really made of kevlar with a thin ceder wrap around them.

A weather window opens around Thursday, March 29th, so that is my tentative departure date. I will try to post updates as my passage progresses. Ciao'
Comments
Vessel Name: Elysium
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Brookings, Oregon
Crew: Cpt. Renard Maiuri

Who: Cpt. Renard Maiuri
Port: Brookings, Oregon