SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
S/V Restless Journeys
Port McNeil
Ron/overcast
07/25/2014

24 July 2014
Port McNeil, BC
We left Shearwater on Tuesday morning and proceeded to Rock Inlet near NAMU, and anchored for the night. We quickly set out both of our crab pots where we had such good luck on the way north. I checked them two hours later, and was disappointed to have nothing in either one. I moved them and checked them one more time before dinner and only had one female crab. We left them overnight and when I checked them the next morning we had one small male and one small female. I think the lesson here is, get your crabs early in the season before the commercial guys start.
On Wednesday morning we pulled up the anchor and headed to Dawson's Landing where we refueled and took on a few provisions. We then decided to continue on to Duncanby Landing and Resort to be closer when we decided to cross Queen Charlotte Sound. Duncanby is still very expensive. It was $1.50/foot for moorage and a whopping $45.00/night for 30 amp power! Needless to say, we declined power. We had a very good dinner at the lodge on Wednesday night. We listened to the radio and it seemed that Thursday would be the best day in the next 4-5 days to cross over to Port Hardy (50nm). We got up at 0500 and were underway at 0510 for Port Hardy. The crossing started out fairly smooth, but got rougher the further we went. The seas (6foot swells) were on the beam or just a aft the beam. Fortunately there was very little wind and we were making consistently above 7 kts. When we got within 15 miles of Port Hardy in Johnstone Strait the seas abated and calmed completely. We then decided to push on to Port McNeil which is a better port. We arrived in Port McNeil around 3:30pm and moored at the city marina. We went out to a nice cafe for dinner and came back to the boat and crashed! We were tired!
We plan to stay here until Saturday morning then head to Lagoon Cove. After that we will decide our route home based on weather.

Shearwater, BC
07/22/2014

Newly completed memorial park at Shearwater. The plane is a wind direction indicator and the propellers turn in the wind!

Shearwater Marina
Ron/overcast rain
07/21/2014, Shearwater, BC

20 July 2014
Shearwater, British Columbia

We left Prince Rupert last Thursday and had an easy trip down to Lowe Inlet on the Grenville channel. It was a long trip (59nm) but we left early and arrived at Lowe Inlet early afternoon. There was no one there so we anchored close to the falls. I started fishing to try to catch another Halibut. All I caught was a Cabezon and two ratfish. Both disgusting fish. However, we then spotted two bears at the falls fishing! The one on the left caught two large salmon in short order. We watched him pull it out of the falls with his paws, the take it in his mouth. He walked off into the woods, presumably to eat it. He returned about 15 min later and caught another one! The one on the right wasn't as skillful or lucky. He got none! Before the day ended two other boats arrived to spend the night.

On Friday, we departed for Butedale in rain and low visibility. We arrived in Butedale early afternoon and were met by Lou. Corey showed up a few minutes later. Lou recounted his story of losing his boat, spending night in woods cold and wet, and recovery by RCMP the next morning. He looked no worse for the wear, but said he had lost some feeling in his toes. Again, we were the only boat there for the night.

On Saturday we decided to got Klemtu for fuel and then on to Rescue Bay. We arrived at fuel dock around 2 pm and no one was around. We called on radio and got no answer. We went up to the Band Store, and lady there told us the fuel operator had gone fishing! We then thought about going another 40 miles to Shearwater instead of Rescue Bay. After we left fuel dock we spotted empty slips on the public dock, so we decided to stay there instead of going further. About an hour after we tied up, we got a knock on the boat, and it was manager of the fuel dock, and asked us if we still wanted fuel. We said yes, so we moved back to the fuel dock and refueled. We then moved back to the dock and spent the night. We went up to the Band Store (grocery store of the local band of Indians). It was well stocked and we purchased a couple of things we needed.

On Saturday, we got underway early to go to Shearwater. It was foggy, but water was flat. We turned on the radar and proceeded slowly down the Klemtu passage to open water. The fog lifted and waters in Finlayson Sound. Was calm. We decided to go straight to Shearwater via Finlayson Sound and Seaforth Channel with was about 8 nm shorter than passage through Oscar Channel and Reid Passage. We arrived about 1:30 and moored at the dock in Shearwater. We will stay here until Tuesday morning, then head to Namu for the night. We plan to be in Dawson's Landing on Wednesday and will wait for good weather around Cape Caution.

For Mike: we plan inside Vancouver Is on return trip. Have done outside and it was great. May go with you next year! If you want a buddy boat, that is.

Older ]