S/V Restless Journey to Alaska 2017

28 July 2018
28 July 2018
24 July 2018 | Tofino, BC
19 July 2018
19 July 2018 | Tahsis, BC Westview Marina Resort
12 July 2018 | Port Alice
06 July 2018 | Port Mcneil
29 June 2018 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, British Columbia
02 August 2017 | Seattle, WA
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
15 July 2017 | Shearwater, BC
14 July 2017 | Shearwater
09 July 2017 | Prince Rupert

Arrival Petersburg

02 July 2014
Ron/sunny warm
26 June 2014
Sitka to Baby Bear Bay
We left Sitka around 10am for Baby Bear Bay to arrive at Sergius Narrows at slack water at 1700. We left early to give Arthur a chance to fish. We fished in Sitka sound without any luck. We hauled in the line for about 30 minutes, then put it out again as we approached Olga Strait. In about 10-15 minutes the line began to sing. Arthur took the pole in hand and it was obvious he had a fish on! He then saw it jump about 50 yards behind the boat! He dove a couple of times but Arthur and I worked him to the stern and Jim (who was feverish early working to get the net free) netted the fish just off the stern. Then we knew we had a large King Salmon! We hoisted him into the cockpit and measured him. He was 32 inches long and we estimated about 20lbs! After a couple of phone calls home and pictures, we filleted him in the cockpit. We put one filet in the freezer, with some jockeying, and one filet in the fridge. Arthur wanted to continue since he was now "bitten" with salmon fever! We told him we had no more room for another fish, so he could fish and release. He was not interested in doing that. We told him if he gave away a filet, he could fish again. As we entered Baby Bear Bay we saw a large boat, Mellow Moments, with two couples on board. We hailed them and offered them a fresh king salmon filet which they accepted with much pleasure. After the fish transfer we anchor further in the cove (around the corner from where we anchored last week. About 20 minutes later, the dinghy from Mellow Moments came over with a bucket of crabs and gave us 4 large ones! A great trade! Arthur made himself a boat burger and Jim and I ate fresh steamed crab. We are planning crab cakes for tonight! Oh the horror!

27 June 2014

Baby Bear Bay to Cosmos Cove

After breakfast we got underway planning to go to Saooke Cove. When we got to the end of Dead Mans Reach in Peril Strait, we decided to push on to Cosmos Cove, since it was only another 25 nm further and we would be there by 1600. We plan to go to Warm Springs tomorrow and let Arthur start fishing again.

We anchored in Cosmos Cove and decided not to crab or fish. No room in freezer or fridge! As we sat in the cockpit watching the eagles, we heard a sound that first sounded like a gunshot. It turn out to be a whale surfacing inside the cove! He came within a couple hunger yards then left the cove.

28 June 2014

We left Cosmos Cove after breakfast for Baranoff Warm Springs. Arthur fished for about an hour with no success. We retrieved the line and increased speed. No sooner than we had increased speed, Arthur spotted two Orcas about two hundred yards off port bow. We slowed and let them pass. When we arrived in Warm Springs, the pier was completely full. A couple of pleasure craft and lots of fishing boats. There was a sailboat moored at the end of the dock and they motioned for us to come alongside, which we did. It turns out, a fish opening is scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow and boats were getting ready. Apparently, there were 25 fishing boats here last night. While we were eating linch a fishing boat left, and we shifted from outboard the sailing vessel and moored pier side. About an hour later while sitting in the cockpit, a humpback surfaced at the end of the dock! He passed within 50 feet of us when he sounded! Of course, the camera was in the forward cabin. He gave us a couple of tail waves, and then disappeared! A couple large charter boats have come and gone during the day. SHADOWFAX, DISCOVERY, and SERENGETTI brought in guests for a couple of hours. We've seen SHADOWFAX several times over the last couple of weeks along with Discovery. This is second time we've seen SERENGETTI.

The whales returned later in the afternoon and this time we had the camera ready. There were two in company apparently chasing herring. I took out my herring jig and caught about a dozen herring, which are in the freezer for bait. We've all been to the baths and will go again today!

A large motor yacht, NORTH, arrived late in the afternoon. I think it passed us early in the cruise. The couple aboard invited us over for cocktails and Jim and I toured the boat and passed the evening sitting on the fantail telling sea stories. They have had their boat all over the world! It is one of the nicest boats we've ever seen. No question, Mary and Alice would approve!

29 June 2014
Second day in Warm Springs Cove
Mike Jenson of NORTH brought out his throw net for us to play with to see if any of us could throw it. It kept us busy most of the morning. He then broke out the kayaks, and Jim and Arthur paddle them around the cove. In the evening we took our copy of Second Hand Lions over to NORTH and watched on their big screen TV. I took two more dips in the hot tubs before the fishermen started returning.

30 June 2014
Warm Springs Cove to Red Bluff Cove

We got underway around 9:30 under overcast skies and winds from SE. Seas were a little bumpy for the 22 nm run to Red Bluff Cove. Arthur spotted some humpback whales a couple of miles from the entrance to Red Bluff. As soon as we entered the lee of the bluff, seas and wind abated immediately. We proceeded to the end of the cove to the recommended anchorage. We are the only ones here! Beautiful cove with an impressive waterfall within view of the anchorage. We've bypassed this anchorage three times, and I'm glad we finally stopped here for the night!

1July 2014

Red Bluff Cove to Chapin Bay
We had an easy transit from Red Bluff Cove to Chapin Bay on the SE side of Admiralty Island about 15 miles south of Pybus Bay. Beautiful anchorage, well protected. No fish or crabs though. We shared the cove with another boat, but we were about 1 nm further in the cove, so not crowded at all. Peaceful. Jim and I had crab stuffed halibut and Arthur had a boat burger. We decided to leave early the next morning for the 56 nm run to Petersburg.

2July 2014
Arrival Petersburg. We left at 6am this morning under cloudy skies for Petersburg. We had rain squalls, but calm seas for the crossing of Frederick Sound. We arrived in Petersburg around 3 pm, refueled and docked in the north marina. We were joined by our friends on NORTH.
We plan to remain here over the 4th of July.
Comments
Vessel Name: RESTLESS
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: SEATTLE
Crew: Mike Morgan and Jim McIlvaine
About: USNA Classmates and company mates
Extra: We will be cruising to Alaska this summer
RESTLESS's Photos - Main
Pictures from our trip to Alaska
8 Photos
Created 7 May 2014