S/V Restless Journey to Alaska 2017

28 July 2018
28 July 2018
24 July 2018 | Tofino, BC
19 July 2018
19 July 2018 | Tahsis, BC Westview Marina Resort
12 July 2018 | Port Alice
06 July 2018 | Port Mcneil
29 June 2018 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, British Columbia
02 August 2017 | Seattle, WA
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
15 July 2017 | Shearwater, BC
14 July 2017 | Shearwater
09 July 2017 | Prince Rupert

Petersburg/Pybus Bay/Warm Springs

21 June 2014 | Sitka
Ron/partly cloudy
13 June 2014
Petersburg to Pybus Bay.

We left Petersburg this morning at 4:30 am ( sunrise was at 3:58!). We had a very nice tide to ride out on. On our way to Pybus Bay, we saw dolphins near, and a pod of humpback whales at a distance. As we got closer to Pybus Bay the wind began to pick up and we unfurled the jib and sailed about 5 miles prior to entering the bay. We anchored, got the crab pots out, and then started fishing. The wind picked up and it started raining. We stopped fishing and have decided not to check crab pot tonight. Mike whipped up some more halibut fish tacos for dinner. Since we started so early, we all plan an early night. We are hoping to see some bears here. The weather forecast for tomorrow is rainy and windy, so we plan to stay put. More favorable weather is predicted for Sunday, so we plan to move on to Red Bluff Bay then, or Warm Springs Cove.

Saturday June 14, 2014
As we sit here in Pybus Bay with rain and wind I remember back 45 years ago today when I married the love of my life, Alice! Sweetheart, I miss you and love you more and more each day.

The wind howled all night last night and we didn't get much sleep. The anchor is and held firm all night. Based on weather reports, we'll spend another night here before heading on. We plan to go to Red Bluff Cove unless the winds prevent us going that far south. We could decide to go to Warm Springs Cove instead. We will make that decision tomorrow.

We didn't get a chance to check crab pot last night. We checked the crab pot and had nothing, so Mike moved them to the other side of the cove. When he checked them three hours later we had three keepers! So, crab dinner instead of spaghetti. Mike checked the pot just before bed and we got four more keepers. All were in excess of 7 1/2 inches except for one which was just under 7 inches. Two were 8 inches! Winds died down and we called it a night.

Sunday June 15, 2014 (Fathers Day)

We got underway in light rain around 5:15. While underway, we decided to go to Warm Springs Cove instead of Red Bluff Bay. We arrived before noon, and there were only three boats at the pier. After lunch, we went up to the bath houses and had a long soaking bath in water piped in from the hot springs up the hill. We plan to have Singapore Chile Crabs for dinner! Spaghetti will have to wait another day! We will spend tonight and tomorrow night here.

Monday June 16, 2014

Beautiful day in Warm Springs Cove! We hiked up to the hot springs and spent a few minutes soaking. We decided we like the hot tubs better! We had our spaghetti dinner with crab and artichoke dip as an appetizer.

Tuesday June 17, 2014

We were awakened at 0400 with wind and 1ft waves slapping against the stern. We turned on the radio and it was predicting rain and small craft advisory in Chatham Strait (winds 20 increasing to 25 kts). So, we decided to stay another day. More hot baths! We decided to try the halibut Olympia for dinner! Awesome!! Weather improved in the afternoon and settled down in the evening. We plan to leave tomorrow morning for Cosmos Cove about 10 nm north.

Wednesday June 18, 2014

After a quiet evening we woke up and had breakfast. After breakfast we got underway and motor sailed a few miles before reaching Cosmos Cove. We passed a cell tower as we left Warm Springs a Cove, which we think is new since our last trip. We got some email and a couple text messages before we lost the signal.

We anchored in 45 ft of water, put dinghy in the water, and Mike put the crab pots out. As he was putting in the last pot a commercial crabber came in and went about 3/4 mile further into the cove and planted numerous crab pots. We'll see if that bodes well for us. Mike started fishing and I (Ron) spotted a brown bear on the far shore! Our first brown bear of the trip! He was feeding in the grass and after a while wondered back into the woods. Hopefully, we will see some more later today.

We plan to leave in the morning and head to Appleton Cove about 30 miles from here. The vista here is almost as pretty as Pybus Bay, but better protected from the wind.
Comments
Vessel Name: RESTLESS
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: SEATTLE
Crew: Mike Morgan and Jim McIlvaine
About: USNA Classmates and company mates
Extra: We will be cruising to Alaska this summer
RESTLESS's Photos - Main
Pictures from our trip to Alaska
8 Photos
Created 7 May 2014