We left Roatan on the 15th May 2011 bound back to USA.
the winds kept climbing and climbing till they reached 20 to 24 knots in the middle of the noc. "Always at noc!" the Seas were very confused and large waves. and the problem was that out of no where there was a wave that would come along and hit us abeam and BAM the noise was loud and the toe rail was in the water.
The boat was moving at 7.5 knts and I had to slow her dn . I had the main up and a little jib out. So it was really hard to turn to the wind to get the main dn but i tried anyway and then the main only came half way dn and half of the main came off the track! now its 3am and all this noise of the main flapping in the wind and waves hittting us from every direction.
what a mess of a night! finally after 38 hrs in the morning when i could see i got the main dn and tied dn. on boom.
then i told tess iam taking a rest and told her to put 4 degrees into the auto pilot to keep us off the reef.
Some how the 4 degrees were to the port and I awoke to a huge wave hitting us astern almost filling the dingy on the davits! OH my gosh we are now right over the reaf and there are huge waves pounding us from astern !
So I turn to the east and with full throttle ahead we rode up one wave and surfed dn the other side of it and we could look way up in the air and there was another wave over the top of us we thought for sure itr would fill the boat but the boat just rode up the wave so we did this for about 15 minutes and we were off the reef; the depth gauge read only 4 ft at the bottom of each wave! mqn this was quite alarming!
we entered bae de assession mexico and went aground a couple of miles in the bay. which i thought was great were not going any where; so i grabed a cold beer and another and another then fell asleep!
nx morning got a fisherman and another boat to pull us off the grounding for 100 usd; we stayed here for 6 dys for both wife and I were perty traumitized by the day before
hI TO ALL
WE ARE NOW IN ROATAN ON A MOORING; IT COST ONLY $100 USD PER MONTH BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS REALLY EXPENSIVE HERE AND TO GO GROCERY SHOPING YA HAVE TO GO TO FRENCH HARBOR AND TAKE A TAXI OR VAN BUS
WILL BE HERE TILL THE 27TH OF MAY AND THEN ON TO PANAMA CANAL AND THE SAN BLAS ISLANDS
TESS IS RETURNING TO USA TO GET HER USA CITIZENSHIP AND WILL BE GONE FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS
HERE IS A PIC OF MY CATCH OF THE DAY WOW WHAT A BIG FISH
HAVE BEEN ON THE HARD AT THE NAVAL STATION FOR 10 DAYS AND HAVE PAINTED THE TOPSIDES OF BOAT AND THE BOTTOM PLUS FIBER GLAS WORK ON THE KEEL!
SEE THE PIC ABOVE FOR THE FINISHED JOB!
WE LEAVE HERE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS FOR UTILA WHICH IS 17 HRS AWAY AT 4KNOTS SOG WILL LEAVE AROUND 5PM AND ARIVE AROUND 10AM THERE.
IF YOU NEED INFO ABOUT THE NAVAL STATION HAUL OUT JUST GIVE ME A EMAIL. IT COST ONLY $145 FOR HAUL OUT AND LAUNCH
ONLY COST ME ABOUT $300 FOR PAINT AND SUPPLYS TO DO THIS JOB ; WHAT A HUGE SAVINGS TO DO WORK HERE. IF YOU WANT LABOR IT IS ABOUT $10.00/DAY
GARY AND TESS
Just a quick note!
We have been on the hard painting bottom of boat at naval yard in Puerto Cortes
Finally after the arrival of my wife from The Philippines we are ready to set sail once again!
We leave here tomorrow and will stop in Livingston Guatemala to check out then sail over to Puerto Cortes to do a bottom job on the boat and raise yet again the water line stripe which Iam sure is required due to the abundance of shoes and handbags of my wife.! I hope she doesn,t read this for there would be Mutany on the "Restless Rosie"
Check out the side like on this side for the spot satelitte which will give our position reports when out of range of Internet; it is linked to google earth so it is really cool.
So for now we will be updating this site in Roatan when we arrive there in a week or so
Gary and Tess
After leaving Key West on the 14th December Restless Rosie and I headed for the NW Coast of Cuba and then followed it onto to the San Antonio Cuba wh ere we headed on a heading of 219 degrees true to The coast of Belize. Stayed one noc behind "Middle Long Cay" We ran out of diesal just after starting out the next morning and it took 6 hrs to get the motor started and on our way again. If any one want s to know how to restart a Diesal engine after running out of gas well Iam now a expert!
I then proced inside the reef of Belize to Placencia Beliece where we anchored out there to reprovision. thre was no problem here to just dingy in and grab some fuel and food and water and then head on our way! You can anchor here in about 12 ft of water with good holding.
From Placencia Belize we sailed to Cabo Tres Puntes for the night before proceding into Livingston Guatumala.
A word of caution1 You must wait for a rising tide to get into Livingston. I draW 6 FT AND WE HAD NO WATER UNDER US AT .35 %HIDE TIDE. iT IS THICK MUD SO YA JUST GOT TO PLOW THROUGH IT!
You must then anchor in livingston harbor and wait on your boat for immigration ;customs and health to come to your boat to process you into the country. It was quite streight forward without problems; then the officials tell you to come to their office of immigration in about a hour to p/u your passports.
After that We proceded up the river to a anchorage outside a Marina called Texas Bay in about 20 ft of water . the next morning we arrived at the Marina "Monkey Bay"
here is the lat and long of the three anchorages used along the way
Middle Long Cay Belize; N17.16'.459/W08805'.86
Placencia Belize;N17 16'.45/W088 05'.86
Cabo Tres Puntas;N15 57'.11/W088 37'.11
Livingston Guatamula; N15 49'.36/W088 44'.86
Guide Book to use;Belize and mexico's Caribbean Coast by Captn. Freya Rauscher