SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Issuma
Wind Generators and Petroleum Tanks
Richard
Sat Sep 18 10:00:00 EDT 2010, Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia, Canada

We motored through the Strait of Canso, between Cape Breton Island and Nova Scotia. We anchored to sit out a gale in Port Hawkesbury, pretty much in the middle of the Strait of Canso, where this picture was taken.

Cape St Lawrence
Richard
Wed Sep 15 10:00:00 EDT 2010

We left the rain behind (on the left of the picture) as we passed the northern tip of Cape Breton Island.

Red Bay Beluga
Richard
Sun Sep 12 10:00:00 EDT 2010, Red Bay, Labrador, Canada

The wind finally let up in Battle Harbor and we sailed and motored 60 miles to Red Bay, in the Strait of Belle Isle, where we anchored in preparation for a NE gale the following day. The Strait of Belle Isle separates Newfoundland from Labrador.

The little beluga in the picture came over to the boat as we were entering Red Bay and stayed with us, swimming around and playing, for hours.

The preparations for the gale were straightforward. Red Bay is a very enclosed bay and we set the main anchor (88lb Raya) and a rope to a big rock. I had read that the mud on the bottom in this harbor was thin and didn't hold anchors well. We had no problems with the NE gale, but were somewhat dismayed to see that the forecast for favorable winds following the gale had changed to another gale from the north.

We reanchored, in the north part of the harbor, this time using the Raya anchor and the little Guardian (like a 40lb Fortress) anchor, each on about 150m of chain and rope. The Raya would likely have held us by itself, but one doesn't want to find out otherwise in the midst of a howling gale, so better to set two anchors if in any doubt. Both anchors hooked debris on the bottom, making bringing them back up a long process--quite useful for muscle-building (there is an electric anchor winch, but it only works with the chain on the main anchor, so the 80m of rope on the main anchor was lifted by leading the rope aft to a manual winch). Anyway, after two hours spent retrieving the anchors, we were able to leave the harbor and enjoy a brisk night sail down the Strait of Belle Isle.

Unfortunately, in the second gale, the wind generator (Air Breeze) died. So far, I have not been able to get it operating again. The wind generator supplied most of the electrical power onboard, so now computer use is much more limited, so there may be fewer blog entries.

After the gales, a big high pressure system moved in and we have since had clear, not-very-cold skies and pleasant winds.

Tue Sep 28 11:04:11 EDT 2010 | Kevin Howell
I had never seen or heard of Beluga's in Red Bay or along the coast; amazing.
I miss Red Bay; wish I was there...
Sat Oct 2 16:51:18 EDT 2010 | Richard Hudson
We were surprised to see the beluga also...first time I've seen one.

I wanted to spend more time in Red Bay, but we were pushing to get south and spent most of our time there in gales or preparations for gales.
Battle Harbor
Richard
Sat Sep 11 10:00:00 EDT 2010

Battle Harbor

Battle Harbor
Richard
Fri Sep 10 10:00:00 EDT 2010

Battle Harbor

Battle Harbor
Richard
Thu Sep 9 10:00:00 EDT 2010

Battle Harbor is a narrow harbor between two islands, with narrower entrances. There is little protection from the wind, but rocks at the entrances prevent waves from entering the harbor.

Battle Harbor was a fishing port since about 1775. After cod fishing stopped in Canada in the 1990s, the settlement became a historic site, operated by the Battle Harbor Historic Trust.

Weather-bound in Battle Harbor
Richard
Wed Sep 8 10:00:00 EDT 2010

After the remnants of post-tropical depression Earl passed to the north of us, we went to Mary's Harbor, and then to the fascinating historic site of Battle Harbor. More about Battle Harbor later.

We planned to spend only a day in Battle Harbor, but Earl seems to like Labrador, and turned around and came back over us again, so we are sitting at the dock, waiting for the wind coming thru the entrance to moderate before we leave.

Thu Sep 9 5:47:49 EDT 2010 | george ray
Any thoughts of starting a You Tube channel and posting some videos? It would take the travel log/blog to the next level.
Weather Forecasting on Issuma
Richard
Mon Sep 6 10:00:00 EDT 2010

We anchored in a small, unnamed cove in St Lewis Inlet, in the south of Labrador to sit out post-tropical Earl. We are waiting for the resultant headwinds to decrease more before continuing.

For those interested in the technical details of how we get weather forecasts at sea, I wrote this, http://www.issuma.com/rhudson/issumaboat/WeatherForecastsOnIssuma.htm

Mon Sep 6 21:11:35 EDT 2010 | George Ray
Thanks for the Wx@sea writeup !! You have a lot of good info to share. Perhaps you could write articles for a cruising mag like Ocean Navigator.
Labrador Sea
Richard
Sun Aug 29 10:00:00 EDT 2010

The spinnaker adds a bit of color to the gray sky and sea.

Ramah
Richard
Fri Aug 27 1:00:00 EDT 2010

With strong headwinds forecast, we went into a fjord to anchor off the former Moravian Church Mission site of Ramah (which I believe means "high place"). We didn't see any sign of the old buildings, just polar bears (two adults with two cubs) and caribou.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs