Riada II Adventures

We have reached Fiji (post from 2011)

14 May 2012
Carolyn (on shore)
We had a fairly quiet first few days in Fiji - we always need some time to recharge after a crossing, however on Friday we had a taxi take us to Lambasa for the day so we could see some of Vanua Levu - and it looked wonderful: majestic mountains (just as in Viti Levu) from where you look down into turquiose waters, virgin rainforest reserve, pine forest, cane fields, brightly coloured homes, clean and tidy villages, and industrious people (the last two points being a lovely change
after Tonga)!

Lambasa was buzzing as it was "cane payment" week - Fiji's equivalent to the Fonterra payment - except that it is six-monthly. We headed straight for the extensive Lambasa market - where we bought pineapple, mangoes, pawpaw, bananas and all the fresh vegetables and herbs you can imagine, plus I bought indian sweets and savoury snacks and tamarind. Then we went to an Indian restaurant and had fish marsala starter followed by fish curry, chicken curry, beef curry and - best of all - crab curry. I have also been eating Twisties since we arrived in Tonga. I am in gastronomic reminiscent heaven :-)!!!!

Saturday was an important day in Savusavu - pedestrian crossing training day!! The government have a zero tolerance policy and have really cleaned up crime in Fiji (or at least in Vanua Levu) and now
are focussing on drink driving, littering, and use of zebra crossings :-). The people of Savusavu have 1 month to get used to using the one pedestrian crossing in town or its a $40 instant fine. Dave and I were both brave enough to have our hair cut on Saturday. We both look like criminals :-) but the upside was the hairdresser (an entrepreneurial Indian lady) and her family invited us to their home on Saturday night for dinner after we watched Fiji get soundly beaten by South Africa in the marina's bar. Visiting their home was an eye-opener as they have very little but were so generous with us. We now know to take presents with us (besides wine and chocolate) whenever we get such invitations as they gave us presents as we left.

Today we are preparing to leave with Relapse and Ruby-June for our first Fijian waters adventure - Taveuni and north east Vanua Levu. We will leave tomorrow. Our friends will carry on around Vanua Levu afterwards whereas we will come back and use Savusavu as a base (as we like it so much) for collecting Dave's sister Sandy and neices, sailing around the Lau Group and then the islands between Vanua Levu and Viti Levu.

Okay. I'd better go and get on with my "first mate" duties.
Carolyn
Comments
Vessel Name: Riada II
Vessel Make/Model: Davidson 46
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: David Cornish and Carolyn Hobson
About: David is the wind warrior, provider and most resourceful man of the sea, while Carolyn is the provisioner, co-chef and "Nurse Hobson"
Extra: We decided life's too short to work while young enough to sail the world. Our first voyage last year took us to Tonga and Fiji. This year we are returning to Fiji and then on to Vanuatu. Our departure date (weather permitting) is May 12th.

Riada II Adventures

Who: David Cornish and Carolyn Hobson
Port: Auckland, New Zealand