My Firey Self

Port: Boca Chica

05 July 2010 | Steamboat Springs
04 July 2010
23 July 2009
19 June 2009
02 April 2009
14 February 2009
12 February 2009
10 February 2009
29 January 2009
29 January 2009
06 January 2009
25 December 2008
17 December 2008
08 December 2008
07 December 2008
06 November 2008
05 November 2008
30 October 2008
03 October 2008

My first motor! Electric that is!

06 May 2008 | Boca Chica: Naval Air Station
Skarlath
Well we finally did it! I made an electric motor! (My apologies to all of you who have been waiting so long and having to deal with short choppy posts)

So first of we took a simple paper cup and put three magnets on the bottom...







And two on the top.







Then we took some wire and made an Armature. (It's not really an Armature right now but it will be soon!)







We made sure it was nice and tight by tying it on the ends.






Then we took the insulation off the tips of our armature to be.







Now for one of the most important parts of making an electric motor. Taking an oil based marker we painted half of the wire on the left side of our armature. (It can be on the right too. We just did it on the left.)







Then we took the ends of two paperclips and straightened part of it and bent the very ends.







Then punching our paperclips into the top of the cup. (One of the hardest parts of the experiment because you have to get the height just right.)







Then hooked our armature in the paperclip. You can't really see it in the picture but a certain part likes to point up and the opposite part likes to hang down.







And plugged it in!!!!!! *Vroooom!!!*







Ok so you can't see it moving cuz the camera took it to fast. So here it is with a slow shot. This is why it is all blurry. Didn't have a good prop.







So what happened? The wire is Copper so it is not a ferrous metal (None Magnetic). But when we hooked it up to the wire and completed a circuit we made an Electromagnet. (Hence that experiment that I did earlier.) Now our wire has a north and a south pole like our other magnets. So what happens is the wire on the top is like "Oh I need to get down to the bottom cuz I'm of a different pole than that magnet so I am attracted to it." So that wire goes to the bottom. But we had put that oil based marker on part of the wire so that when that part gets to the bottom the circuit is broken and no longer an electromagnet. So the part of the wire that went to the bottom is no longer attracted so it goes back to the top in a circular motion. (This has to do with Kinetic energy and Inertia) Since we had only put the ink on half of the wire when it gets back to top the circuit is completed and the wire is attracted to the bottom again.

So we are going to continue this experiment by getting a Motorcycle and convert it to electricity! Dad just got news that we can get one with a bad motor for only $100!!! So thats good news. I'll keep you posted on how that goes! Stay tuned!
Comments
Vessel Name: Skarlath
Vessel Make/Model: 35' Coronado
Hailing Port: Boca Chica
Extra: Favorite movies are anything that amuses me or has good animation. Favorite book. Stupid question. How can you like only a few. Favorite colors. Fire, Ice, and Shadow.

My Firey Self

Port: Boca Chica