Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Practical points about Siracuse

18 August 2010
The anchorage and quay here holds lot of attractions (not least the price). Our pilot book shows the dinghy landing west of the Customs quay but that's now a building site. Like other boats, we dinghied into the small inlet that separates the island of Oritiga from the mainland. If you go under the first bridge, immediately to port there is a corner of the dock and flight of steps, where no-one seems to mind you tying up. There's enough room and chain to lock your dinghy securely.
If you climb up the steps and turn right across the next bridge you are on the island. About 100m ahead is the temple of Apollo, and the daily market is to the left of it.
If you turn left, you are on the main road Corso Umberto. About 50m on your left is the excellent laundrette run by the American Maria and her Sicilian husband Davide. A great source of information and also very good value for your washing.
We found one very expensive chandlery on Oritiga itself and various hardware stores and chandleries around the mainland side of Porto Piccolo. As we didn't actually need anything (!) we didn't do an exhaustive survey.
There is a tourist information centre on Oritiga but the one on the archaeological park is better. It's worth investigating as Siracuse has a great programme of free events, particularly music, at various atmospheric venues.
Much of the city is small enough to walk (if very hot), but there is also a go-bike hire service and a good bus system. We found it difficult to actually buy tickets for the bus, either in tabbachi or on the bus itself, but no-one seemed to care.
The biggest drawback to the main anchorage is that the water is off-puttingly brown. We moved over to just beneath the fort to swim, but the Coast Guard seems to discourage overnight anchoring there, so you have to move back again.





Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich