Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Cruising is ... moving stuff about

05 May 2012 | Manoel Island Yacht Yard
Hot, sunny (not like England)
We’re not even afloat and yet we spend a lot of time just moving things around. We bought a load of stuff out from the UK – of which more in a moment – and then took stuff from Roaring Girl to our little apartment to work on. The load included the sewing machine and canvas to make hatch covers. Plus, of course, one accumulates more stuff, such as window screens, to keep the sun out of the cockpit. (Not very nautical, but at only EU1 each, what’s not to like?)
This is us bringing lots of it to the yard, for hoisting on board. Note our trusty shopping trolleys, our hard-working pack-mules whenever our feet touch the land.
Travelling out to Malta was a comedy of errors, not that we were amused at the time. Our coach from Ipswich was carefully timed to get us to Stansted with 55 minutes in hand before the gate closed. It didn’t, thanks to a broken windscreen wiper and the appalling weather that drought-struck East Anglia is experiencing. We got to the airport with 10 minutes to spare before check-in closed.
No problem, we thought. But no! The demon of cheap flights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM hit us. If you want to check hold baggage you need to be there 40 minutes before! Gate closed, says the woman on the desk, but if you take that case through security you can pay at the gate for it to go in the hold. Off we run.
Of course, this is a cruisers case, not packed for cabin security, It’s got a trailing log, a vegetable chopper, baking yeast. All sorts of crap to frighten the searchers. And search us they did. That case went through the x-ray three times, while we hopped from foot to foot with impatience. Eventually they let us go and we legged it through the airport, trousers falling down. It’s a long way to gate 49. At the gate, the charming folks sweetly relieved us of another GBP50 (on top of the £30 they’d already had for the case) for the privilege of taking it on to the tarmac where they loaded it on the plane. Phew!
Sarah asked if she had to buy the in-flight magazine. The Ryanair stewardess thought that was funny.
We’re hoping to get that £50 back off the coach company. Wish us luck.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich