Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Lakes and birds and blooms

14 January 2008 | Forsyth Lake, Little River
On the way round the Banks Peninsula we stopped at Little River. There's a line of shops there, where we filled up Puff, and bought some splendid frittata and quiche for lunch. We ate at the lovely little picnic spot on the edge of Lake Forsyth. This widening of the river is caused by the amazing shingle barriers that the sea has built at Birdlings Flat.
On the lake are these birds, which we haven't identified yet. From a distance they look like big grebes, or maybe black swans. But their necks are too long for the grebes we know, and their bodies are too big. The necks are even long for swans and they are not black all over, showing greys and whites under their spread wings.
Sadly this lake is badly polluted by toxic algae blooms, so you cannot swim in it, nor allow your dog to do so. And you can't eat fish caught in it either, so goodness knows what that means for the birds.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich