Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Sunshine

15 January 2008 | Afloat
This morning was very beautiful. A slight cooling breeze, alpine clarity in the air and a hot sun. Kayaks!
By 1100 we were on the water. Pip was in an open kayak, which she prefers, but found it a bit difficult because it had no decent back straps. It was easiest to paddle lying flat backwards! Sarah had a longer, yellow kayak, and could experiment with a rudder for the first time. Great fun.
The water in Lake Tekapo is opaque and milky, with rock flour ground down by the glaciers that feed the lake. You can dip your oar in and barely see the blade. The edges are very sheer, straight down into the valley ground out in the last Ice Age, and at the deepest reach 120m down. That's a lot of ice.
Lake Tepako is competing with the jewels of the Southern Mackenzie area, Queenstown and Wanaka. It's got a long way to go (its permanent population is under 400), but there's a huge amount of building going on. On the Lake itself, this translates to a lot of water-skiers and jet boats. You can always hear an angry engine going round in circles somewhere.
Nonetheless, it was great to paddle at last in the high lakes of New Zealand, knowing the drips from the oars onto our hot skin came from the ice of the Southern Alps.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich