Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Above Cathedral Cove

29 February 2008 | Hahei
We drove up the spectacular road the stretches the east coast of the peninsula. Along the way we turned down to visit the Hot Springs Beach, Hahei and Cook's Landing. This is a sweet corner of NZ, full of character and interest; you could easily spend a week or more here, rather than the one day we allowed.
One of our serendipitous finds was the macadamia nut orchard, where we satisfied our curiosity about the price of these scrummy nuts. They're a lot of work! The orchard, in the process of going organic, produces some lovely nuts and dressings (including some which are gluten free). See www.cathedralcovermacadmias.co.nz.
From Hahei, you can walk to the Cathedral Cove, but on this very hot day we decided against it. This view looks south across Hahei Bay, one of the lovely local beaches.
Hei was the sailing master of the Te Atawa canoe which followed Kupe (the Maori discoverer of Aotearoa) here, and he settled in this bay. There are two pa sites at the further end of the beach.
We found a quiet spot to freepark in Whangapoua, a tiny village on the edge of an estuary tucked into the northern eastern corner of the peninsula. It is reached across acres of salt marsh, and has a very nice little fishing jetty and a pretty sailing yacht on her mooring buoy in the stream. Although it was a wild and windy night, we were very secure.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich