Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Last view of the Pacific

04 April 2008 | Rarangi Beach
Our first night in Puff was spent at the DOC site at Rarangi, so from Nelson we drove the beautiful road to Blenheim and then up the east coast which took us back past the same point. From the lookout above the beach, you get this amazing view south to the White Bluffs about 12 miles away.
The beach is fed with shingle from the river the far side of the Bluffs and is growing at the amazing rate of about 1m a year, which is a phenomonal amount of materiel. Turning north, you clearly see the North Island.
We then drove the back road that hugs the coast through Port Underwood (a major site of coastal whaling in the nineteenth century) up to Picton, a slow, winding and lovely road with astonishing views across the Sounds. Here we met up with Millie, and then had another lovely meal out with her, Helen and Mary. Great fun.
On Saturday morning, in the pouring rain, we visited the fascinating vessel Edwin Fox, a wooden ship that is preserved with her own museum on Picton Quay. She is the ninth oldest ship in the world (though she was only built in 1853, so we wondered about that). She has several unique claims to fame, having carried troops to the Crimea, convicts to Australia and settlers to New Zealand.
We then bid a final farewell to Puff, who now has new adventures ahead of her with Millie, and took the ferry back to Wellington.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich