Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Laproscopy: from the inside

26 March 2010 | Theatre
Pip also started out with lots of training, but ran (literally) into serious trouble with her right knee. What had started out as a bit of a nuisance deteriorated during last summer, and any walking, like Roman sightseeing, was becoming impossible. She tried the recommended approach of rest, ice, compression and elevation, and took lots of anti-inflammatories, but as soon as she stopped, the pain and swelling returned.
After a lot of investigation, and the discovery that Suffolk NHS will do everything possible to avoid giving knee surgery, we took the plunge and at 24 hours notice she had keyhole surgery on 3 March. These pictures are the inside of her knee joint! The bottom right hand one shows the tear, which is what the surgery shaved to stop pain and any deterioration.
At the time of writing, it's healing well and we have bought some high-quality builder's knee-pads. The engine maintenance requires quite a lot of knee time (and that's before the praying starts), so they're essential.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich