Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Rebuilding and re-use

06 April 2010 | The Forums of Rome
Rome makes you see in new ways. Everywhere the old and the older are used to build the relatively new. The street plan reflects classical land use: the mediaeval warren around Campo di' Fiori was built on the parade grounds of the legions, outside the city walls. Or successive generations lay claim to the inherited mantle, as Mussolini did by driving his Via dei Fori Imperiali through the Forums.
The Forums are still amazing despite the depredations of river silt, Vandal invasions, earth tremors and constant looting for materials. For a start, they cover a huge area. And whilst much that remains is in ruins, the scale of the buildings, the width and paving of the streets, cannot but impress you by the complexity of governance, religion and debate that required these developments.
This building is not by any means the grandest or most significant in the Forums. It is interesting because it combines different eras, and tells a tiny piece of the complicated history of the area. For a start, the street level of the Forum was several metres lower than today. Over centuries the silt deposited by the Tiber's regular floods built up the 'floor' of Rome. Taken from the street as it was in classical Rome, you can see in this picture the enormous height of the columns of the temple of Antonius and Faustina. These deities were the parents of the emperor Marcus Aurelius, and Antonius himself began the building in 141AD, for his wife. The roof architrave is still there, with inscriptions of candelabra, griffins and acanthus.
The temple is so well preserved (the best in the Forum) because somewhere between the seventh and eleventh centuries it became the church of San Lorenzo in Miranda. in 1429/30, Pope Martin V gave the church to the Collegio degli Speziali (College of Chemists and Herbalists), at the time officially known as the Universitas Aromatorium. (They still use their adjoining guildhall, which contains a small museum that holds a medicine-receipt signed by Raphael).
The brick steps are modern - and the façade of the church is from 1602.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich