Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Piazza del Campidoglio

24 April 2010
Michelangelo's piazza had a profound political purpose. In ancient times, the temple of Jupiter stood on this hill. It looked along the ridge that became the Palatine Hill, and down over the valley that became the Forum. Its final incarnation, built by Tarquinus Superbus in the sixth century BC, was enormous.
Under the Republic and then the Empire it remained a temple, sacred to Jove. It stood a the head of the Via Sacra, the most important road of classical Rome, overseeing the white-robed Vestal Virgins, the slaves in victory processions, the sacrifices and prayers of millions. For thousands of years, the axis of the hill was south east.
The anxious Popes of the renaissance both relied on that history and turned away from it. For them, St Peter's was the centre of power, no longer the Forum. Paul III had the Piazza reoriented to face west north west. Toward the basilica.
The southern edge of the square, shown here, is Rome's Town Hall, its stairs also deigned by Michelangelo. The Palazzo dei Conservatori (to the right) was already in place, but Michelangelo created a new façade, and had the Palazzo Nuovo built opposite to match. These are both angled slightly to focus on the Town Hall.
Michelangelo was old when he designed this, and the square wasn't actually finished until the seventeenth century. One thing he did was to bring to this square the magnificent equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, which had stood oustside San Giovanni Lateran for years. More of that in a moment.
The two Palazzi are now home to the magnificent Capitolini musueums. Before we visited them, we strolled around the hill, looking at the views, and visited S Maria in Aracoeli, the church behind the unprepossessing red brick facade at the top of the ancient steps.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich