Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Moving to Cala di Volpe

18 July 2010
The forecast showed a projected wind shift bringing 30knots from the north, making Golfo Pero untenable. Fortunately, there was a lull around 1600 and we moved around to Cala di Volpe. This is an inlet to the south of Isola Nibani, with a very posh hotel at the head. (EU10 for an iced coffee!) It shallows a lot, but we anchored comfortably in 6m outside the water-ski lane.
Good things about the Cala? It's very pretty, well sheltered, and there's free water on the superyachts' tender provisioning pontoon just east of the hotel. Less attractive points? The endless traffic of tenders to and fro the small town of mega-yachts anchored off in deeper water. Some are considerate and go slowly through the yachts. Others, less so. There is nothing ashore for the likes of the ordinary yachtie. The nearest supermarket is about 8km away and a return taxi is charged at EU70. You can hitch there if so inclined, and we did meet someone who had bought bread rolls, for EU5, from the back of the hotel. We could find nowhere to dispose of rubbish.
The nicest thing about the cala was that we were still in company with the Norwegian yacht Lila and her Dutch singlehanding captain, Marina. Or rather, she has one crew, the extremely charming minature huskie Ross (named for the Ross ice shelf). Marina rows everywhere, and Ross loves the dinghy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich