Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

On the river at last

03 July 2012
On the Tuesday night we finally made it on to the river cruise. Our batteries were poor so our pix were taken with Pip’s phone. This one was taken by a Russian couple. Another measure of the speed of change: a smartphone picture taken by a Russian couple travelling independently in China of us – a lesbian couple also travelling there without a State chaperone.

It was fun to do, but actually quite hard to manage. Shanghai badly needs some advice on catering to the non-group-organised traveller. The Bund, for example, is beautifully designed to enable freedom of movement that the authorities cannot support. Lots of signs point down escalators and stairs to the ticket hall, but are firmly closed off. It took us a good 20 minutes to find the one open door, which is actually down on the street and not signposted at all. We never thought we would miss the pavement touts of Valetta, Roma or Barcelona but they do at least give you a clue as to what is happening and how to access it!
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich